Archinect
anchor

Job Hunt TImeline

temporality

When did you begin the job hunt for your first job after school?

I'll be graduating in May with a Master of Architecture degree and have begun the search. I haven't heard anything yet from potential employers, nor have any of my classmates. I'm wondering if it is still too early for them to begin hiring someone who will start in May. Thoughts?

Mar 6, 13 4:26 pm
rationalist

It's too early for them to make a commitment to you, but that doesn't mean that it's too early for you to be getting your stuff together. 

Mar 6, 13 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Here's the deal: 

You're applying for a job in a really really really tough job market... if you are new the forum, maybe you should spend time reading how many people are out of work right now. Since you may not have any professional credentials (LEED or A.R.E.'s) under your belt, or for that matter- any other useful professional experience, you have to represent your best 3D Modelling Skills. As much as I like architectural theory and have had numerous publications, no firms really care that much about how thoughtful your concept was. They want to see your ability to contribute to their BUSINESS. Usually new grads are hired base on their proficiency to draft or 3D Model. Other things that are of value is previous internship experience. I think that if you only have the school stuff going for you, you're kind of screwed.... 

Mar 6, 13 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

i would anticipate 6 months to a year if you're near a big city.  seemed to be the going rate for everyone i graduated with. unless you're a hot girl.  the people who actually found good internships during school and had jobs waiting for them upon graduation were, well, lets just say they looked good in section.  at least that was my observation, because their portfolios weren't anything special.

Mar 6, 13 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

March is not too early... In fact, it might even be a bit late...

My office (nothing fancy, nor huge) has already received hundreds of applications from would be and recent graduates.  We've interviewed 2, scheduled interview with 5 more and we are "shelving" any new applicantions, keeping them only on the very small chance that none of the 7 would work out.

As Buglar said, it's tough out there right now.  But, don't get discouraged by the negativity on this forum.  Just don't wait, apply EVERYWHERE.... NOW.  Even if your portfolio is not done, a few pages of sample can still get your name into the running.  Best of luck!

Mar 6, 13 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^ I'd think that would be far from the reason why someone would get hired in our profession...  Throughout my internships, i always got the impression that your work speaks for itself.  You could be the ugliest fat mofo but if you could produce quality work, you'd like be hired over someone without brains but had good looks only 

Mar 6, 13 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

I really didn't begin until August. I needed a couple months after Thesis year to de-stress and figure out where I wanted to go, work on my portfolio, things of that nature. I was lucky in that my dad was pretty excited to have me back home for a bit, and I didn't have to worry about anything.

Once I decided and focused on Chicago, I started searching up here mid-August and had a job about a month later.

Mar 6, 13 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
temporality

Thank you all for the input. 

A little background on me... I have all of my work together in a portfolio, a clean resume, and a solid cover letter that I've been adjusting for each firm I've applied to thus far. I have been working for over the past year at a local firm and gained some good experience (2000+ IDP hours working and other activities). I also passed the LEED AP BD+C exam in December. Hopefully some of the jobs I've seen posted on AIA boards or career pages are open to hiring someone willing to start in May! I have noticed individuals on LinkedIn viewing my profile from a couple firms I've emailed, but still no response. Should I reach out to them again if they obviously have googled my name? Or is it too early yet?

Thanks!

Mar 6, 13 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
elan_h

My firm hires good looking interns to keep the spirits up of the full-timers.  Long nights and constant deadlines are common, so in return I think they view it as an extra "bonus," to keep the grumbling at a low.

Mar 6, 13 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

@accesskb

i'd like to think that, but it was noticeable enough a trend that it became a topic of discussion in studio.  looks go a long way, and thats for everything in life.

OP, are you ugly?

Mar 7, 13 12:33 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

I started that February before May's graduation. Managed one interview, they wanted to bring me on but workload wasn't solid enough. That was back in 2009. Since, I've landed one arch job which I was laid off from. Lasted a month. However, my story is like the saddest on archinect. You'll prolly make off better. You have a Masters and well into the IDP. I lack both. Just keep grinding away. And networking is your friend.  GL.

Mar 7, 13 1:13 am  · 
 · 

It takes time but how you look is key. Network, meet people, See the thread I got a job how did that happen. 

Don’t panic, don’t waste time.  The job hunt is a 40-50 hours a week thing.

Get organized have a system and get a job hunt club started with your class mates before you split up and head your own separate ways.  You should visit every one of your class mates if they are working or not each season to keep up, if they live far away call them, if anything they may let you in on where they are looking, and it helps you develop conversation skills that make interviewing much easier.

Don’t be shy, go to lectures at your school and get yourself invited to the dinner with the speaker after or offer to take them out for drinks and ask for advice. This is how architects win clients. They are socializing.

Ask for advice not a job, begging is a downer telling someone in a sincere and meaningful way you respect their achievements is a turn on.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 9, 13 11:21 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Due89: Sure looks matter a little but only if the work you do is on par or not much better than the one who looks good.  I assume most would hire a good looking person who does the job just as well over someone who isn't so pleasing to the eyes to work with. 

However, if the work you do if like day and night better compared to the one with good looks, I'm sure you'll get picked ;)

Mar 9, 13 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: