anchor

The "forgotten" M.Arch. schools - hmmm

ziazia

Me too, even in undergrad... 

Mar 7, 13 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
New ARch

@ juventus7

Thank you so much for your helpful comment.

When I get the results from all the other schools, I  probably will need more info about UNM.

Mar 7, 13 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
matt_kleinmann

KU has a strong undergraduate 5 year M. Arch Program. The graduate program is just as popular, and KU, along with neighboring K-State (and it pains me to say this, but their school is really good), benefit from the boost of having a high number of quality architecture firms located in nearby Kansas City (Populous, BNIM, Gould Evans, el dorado, Helix, etc.)

If anyone's interested in their graduate program, here's a good example of the work they do :: http://studio804.com/

Mar 8, 13 10:22 am  · 
 · 
observant

i'm sure i pulled as many all nighters as any ivy league architecture student.

No doubt.  I don't know what the average is, but for me it was 4 or 5 per term.  This then begs the question "Why do people pull all nighters?"  There's a handful of reasons for that.  We did have a couple of people in my class who never pulled an all nighter.  Their projects were ok, not great, but they budgeted their time to avoid them - didn't want to be there, had families.  I'd say, at work, when being allowed to put 40, 50, or 60 hrs. on the time sheet, I would do about 2 of them every 6 months.  They're more credible at work, when sometimes you CAN'T budget your time because of something from left field.

Mar 8, 13 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
observant

KU has a strong undergraduate 5 year M. Arch Program. The graduate program is just as popular, and KU, along with neighboring K-State (and it pains me to say this, but their school is really good), benefit from the boost of having a high number of quality architecture firms located in nearby Kansas City (Populous, BNIM, Gould Evans, el dorado, Helix, etc.). How unpopulated KS and OH have TWO schools each is mind-boggling.

I put KU (Univ of Kansas) on the list that started the OP, but being on the list doesn't mean anything other than they are NOT flooded with applicants.  KU seems like a nice school, has a good program, and is close to KC metro which has a lot going on.  It's some 45 minutes away.  Here's their newish 3 year M.Arch, which uses an intro summer AND an intermediate summer.  Short of yet another structures course and a brutal 19 credits in first spring semester, it looks like a good program. 

http://www.sadp.ku.edu/sites/default/files/MArchIIICurriculum3Yr.pdf

Mar 8, 13 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I should have italicized the first paragraph above.  It was someone else's.

Question:  For the 3 year people, especially if NOT living in the East, why this obsession with Harvard and Columbia?  Is it to live and practice in NYC afterward?  Is it the alumni network that is built-in to the degree?

It's every bit as likely that UT-Austin, UMich, and UOregon can turn you into just as good of an architect/designer.

Mar 8, 13 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

I went to University of Illinois after having a BS arch From Southern Illinois University Carbondale SIUC

SIUC was and is a strong but new program you can get an M Arch a B arch or a BS Arch 4+2 or 5 year tracks.  You build things and have lots of hands on experience close to Saint Louis and Memphis is 2 hours away. They are a strong technical program they teach Revit and you do drawings and design in Revit.  You will know Revit when you graduate ad lots of other technical stuff. 

By contrast U of I Urbana Champaign is Big 1000+ students, not too good on the technical side but you can get a good design education but big programs have challenges you have to fight for your studio professors, I think you cannot even chose anymore, some of the studio designers are not registered architects which bothers me, they do not do a thesis or capstone anymore so you are at the whim of the design studio’s instructors notion of what makes an interesting design challenge.  U of I has a hard time holding on to and promoting technical faculty, However the huge U of I is there to pick up the slack, MBA and March can be finished in three years simultaneously, Duel degrees in Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning (who share the same building) are common and the programs work well with each other when you ask.  At U of “I you have to be very proactive seeking out independent studies and having the cahonaes to tell you proffs I think your idea of a semester long studio project for a writing hut in the woods is not worth shit and we need to do something more complex”.  There are many talented faculty at U of I getting to them is not easy. They do have awesome facilities, and support infrastructure. Many people alumni and professionals are viewing U of I as in decline and there is a petition to have the current director fired for destroying the technical program tracks such as professional practice, structures, construction management, IT and architecture due degrees, Computer Science and Architecture duel degree that never got off the ground. In 15 years no technical faculty have been granted tenure.  U of I is good still, it takes a lot to damage a goliath of a program. Do look at SIUC they are younger, smaller and technically grounded.

Mar 9, 13 10:40 am  · 
 · 
observant

Many people alumni and professionals are viewing U of I as in decline and there is a petition to have the current director fired for destroying the technical program tracks such as professional practice, structures, construction management, IT and architecture due degrees, Computer Science and Architecture duel degree that never got off the ground. In 15 years no technical faculty have been granted tenure.

Interesting.  This was always at the top of the list for "bread and butter" instruction.  Actually, I think their undergraduate core is where the action is.  I see that they have stretched their 3.5 program into 4 years (2+2), when the trend is to go the other way (U Minn. went from 2+2 and backed down to 3 only).  The person who has a degree, worked and has some maturity will hang out in the TwinCities for 3 years.  The person who has a degree, worked and has some maturity will not hang out in Champaign for 4 years.  Along with Michigan and a few others, they have the dual arch/MBA program.  Their concept of tracks/options was interesting, and that's no longer there?  In some ways, it seems like a lot of schools are trying to be so unique, and then capitulating to what everyone else is doing.  Incidentally, Florida has also stretched a 3.5 M.Arch. into 4 years.  I think 4 year M.Archs. are a turn-off to any applicant.  It ain't med school.

Mar 9, 13 11:46 am  · 
 · 
New ARch

Got admitted to Temple U (2yr)

Anyone knows anything about the program...????

Where can I find out works of grad students of Temple?

Didn't find any gallery on their website!

Mar 12, 13 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
shad0w

anyone knows university of kansas? I'm just admitted to the March program. But I didn't see much talk about KU. it's hard time for me to choose between IIT and KU. I love Chigaco so much!

Mar 27, 13 8:43 am  · 
 · 
Any have info/advice/opinion on applying abroad? I'm applying this year for M.Arch I equivalents at TUDelft and Glasgow. Also locally to UCLA, maybe SCI-Arc, but I like reality so maybe not.

Thoughts?
Mar 27, 13 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
j.maher

I applied to and got into Tennessee-Knoxville and UIUC. Probably wont be attending them. I'll be visiting UIUC this Friday for the open house though - but as mentioned, 4 year (M.Arch I) really is a turn-off. . 

Mar 27, 13 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^^

About Kansas.  Good, solid school.  Probably more regional than national.  It would probably be recognized just fine in Chicago.  Not that isolated, when you consider it's about 45 minutes from the edge of the large KC metro area.  If doing the 3 year program, they use the summer before and the summer between years 1 and 2, but it's all studio type work instead of technology, which would be more "fun" anyway during the summers.  And KC is a progressive, well thought of metro area with several good firms.  Have no clue what tuition is at IIT.

Mar 28, 13 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
WhatsOnTheARE

U Illinois - UC or UIUC is a great school and has a wonderful library. Competent professors - but like any university some professors are gunning for tenure more than educating students. 

Mar 28, 13 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: