Archinect
anchor

Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Sci-Arc?

e.m.g.

Currently I'm on the east coast. I'm wondering what the reputation is for each of these Masters programs out west, or if anyone has insight as to which is a more reputable. I am strongly considering CA for graduate school.

Feb 27, 13 9:16 am
Cizz

If you want to experience beatiful weather every day for a change , I would go to Ca, although I dont know anything about the schools themselves

Feb 27, 13 10:03 am  · 
 · 
observant

If you are going 3 year: UCLA, Berkeley, USC*, Sci-Arc

If you are going 2 year, and how some structures/tech under your belt:  Berkeley, UCLA, USC*, Sci-Arc

*USC, much like Cal Poly SLO, has the B.Arch. as its principal program, so I am NOT aware of its graduate offerings, but know that it has produced the majority of SoCal's architects.

Feb 27, 13 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
e.m.g.

Ok. Thanks for the input. Is Berkeley pretty well respected for their concurrent MArch/MCP program vs UCLA?

Feb 27, 13 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Median

I think when you look at schools that are relevant to the discourse of where architecture is headed, who are thrown in the mix whether controversial or accepted, the answer is going to be sciarc, and you will have many fighting tooth and nail against it, but it only shows how relevant the school is to the discussion of architecture.

No one talks about schools that are irrelevant.

Feb 27, 13 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
jjanke

I went to UCLA so I'm probably biased, but I also have friends from every one of those schools and am well aware of their general pedagogy and studio output. I've also visited all of them to witness pinups and reviews. Quick generalizations: Berkeley is more traditional and somewhat behind the cutting edge and contemporary. USC grad program is not considered to be a serious option. They're not relevant to the LA architecture scene. Even the USC arch undergrads talk so much crap about their grad program. SCI-Arc is generally a good school but their students don't even know why they're doing what they're doing or how to argue for it. They're making art with little grounding in real life. UCLA is the most reputable. Its the smallest program and the hardest to get into. Its a great balance of theory, art, real life pragmatics... In the end, school is what you make of it. You make yourself. Your decision is between UCLA and SCI-Arc.

Apr 3, 15 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
I agree with jjanke. I would probably pick ucla first. They seem like a solid choice. Probably berkley second just because of prestige but Sci arc seems promising.
Apr 3, 15 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: