Archinect
anchor

Here's why I got Fired!

I think it is office culture and your emails gave them the means for getting rid of you. Some firms wait way too long to deal with someone who is clashing. It is personal in this case not business.

I also have a hard time reading where the boundaries are, and it can trip you up professionally. I treat everyone in my small office like a boss, yes sir right away, but not a diva.  Some offices have divas and watch out they are hard to please. But sometimes people end up not liking you for silly stupid things. Everyone has insecurities and if you make someone feel insecure they will lash out, no one elected you the fashion police no one likes being singled out and for some folks having a coworker on their case for little things can be very stressful.   

Office Culture is not as seen on TV, everyone is under pressure even your boss. I think you got too comfortable and that went to your head, but it is a hard line to draw between fun or inappropriate office behaviors. Employers don’t have to put up with you if they don’t like you everyone can be replaced.

Mar 9, 13 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
observant

But sometimes people end up not liking you for silly stupid things. Everyone has insecurities and if you make someone feel insecure they will lash out

It's all over the map, really.  In one office, there was a partner who was all about marketing and was hated by the staff because he, and his wife, when she popped in, purveyed the "let them eat cake" attitude.  He used to write a lot of articles for publications.  His writing style was too folksy and less than it should have been.  His personal assistant, who was not American, was asked by him to proof it as he would head out the door to God knows where.  Since English was not her first language, she summoned me to proof the article.  I "redlined" it, and the corrections were made.  It went to press.  No problem.  He then wrote another article.  He handed it to her and told her NOT to have ME proofread it.

Incidentally, for anyone who quit with proper notice (2 weeks), they were told to pack it up right away ... and not paid for the remaining time.  They thought that it was a conflict of interests, even if going to a firm that was not a competitor and/or did not do the same type of work.  I took care of that problem upon resigning by reporting them to the appropriate department in that state.  I was relocating - not going to a local competitor nor was the building type at the next firm the same.

Mar 9, 13 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
bindunarayan

Moral of the story, no unprofessional chat messages at office. If you dare to do so, the end result won't change even if you are a valuable resource to your boss, because no boss will love to entertain this kind of behavior in the office premises. 

Mar 11, 13 3:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: