Archinect
anchor

Salary for entry level junior architect in NYC

mkw49

Hi All! I need some feedback regarding an offer from a small firm in NYC. I just moved from outside the city after having two and half years architectural experience as a designer. I have my BA in architecture and was making around 43K. The offer I was just made in the city was 40K. Is this a reasonable offer for the city? I feel like I should be making more than I was making before. I would appreciate any knowledgable feedback and advice. Thanks so much! 

Feb 20, 13 10:50 am
BulgarBlogger

This sounds right. I hope you are not a contract (1099 Employee). Also- be careful about your employment contract. Are you a temporary full time employee or a full-time employee? A temporary full time employee allows the firm to lay you off at any time. Also- New York is an "At Will" state- meaning they can get rid of you at any time with or without a reason. Does this offer include benefits? 

Feb 20, 13 11:09 am  · 
 · 
med.

It's not reasonable but it sounds about right.  NYC doesn't pay architects well whatsoever.  This is why I avoided it all together.

Feb 20, 13 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Depending on what else is included (health benefits, vacation, 401k matching, etc.) it might be a hair on the low side (5-10% or so). Sometimes however, if it is a good firm doing good work, it might be worth it.

Feb 20, 13 11:20 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

definitely at least try to negotiate it.... i'd tell them your previous salary and try to get them to match it.

Feb 20, 13 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

$40K works out to about $28K after all the taxes. If you are willing to live with 20 roomates, you can keep your rent at around $1000, That means half your take home goes to landlord, and half is used to barely scrape by in America's most expensive city. 

I hope you don't have any outstanding student loans.

Feb 20, 13 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: