Archinect
anchor

ETFE Details

BrentJWatanabe

I'm curious to know if anyone knows of any sources to look at regarding ETFE connections and details.

All of my online searches of led me to Texlon engineering/design firms but no real graphic information as to how the material is attached.

Thanks everyone.

Nov 23, 07 6:46 pm
el jeffe

have you tried Foiltec?

from their site:

The Texlon cladding system comprises a number of layer of the UV stable copolymer Ethylene Tetra Fluoro Ethylene (ETFE) welded into cushions or foils.

The cushions are restrained around their perimeter by aluminium extrusions, which are in turn fastened to a supporting primary structure. The cushions are inflated with low-pressure air to provide insulation and to resist wind loads.

A Texlon cushion comprises at least two layers. However, more layers can be added into the system to enhance the cladding's insulation properties.

Each foil can be treated with a variety of treatments to control and manipulate the aesthetics quality of the roof, the visual transparency and the level of solar gain.

The Texlon system has both exceptional durability and a high resistance to tearing.

Texlon Cushions can either be completely prefabricated in the Factory or can be clamped into their supporting framework on site. Our aluminium extrusions incorporate secondary drainage channels and the highest quality EPDM gaskets to ensure the waterproof integrity of the cladding over the life of the building.

Texlon cushions can be fabricated in any size or shape with limiting factor being the wind and snow loads that the cladding has to resist. We would recommend an early discussion with our engineers during the conceptual planning stages of projects to ensure that the structural grid and cladding interface is optimised.

Nov 23, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

didn't Foster do his bio-domes with this stuff?

Nov 23, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
BrentJWatanabe

Yes, I've checked their website.

However I didn't see any information regarding what type of structure is required. I mean, I realize that it's an aluminum extrusion I just wasn't sure if it looked like a regular curtain wall extrusion or not.

It's for a thesis project so I'll just take my liberty in that regard I suppose. ;)

Nov 23, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i was looking at my (free) copy of Contract magazine last night and they have a page (54 or 56 i think) about ETFE with some pics. Looks like slightly curved aluminum extrusions nested and screwed every 6" or so.
pretty simple looking.

Nov 24, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
Vector foiltec

seems to be one of the main vendors of this stuff.

Nov 26, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
tefzel by dupont

fluon by asahi glass
Nov 26, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
ayda

I need etfe detail 

please help me 

I have not enough time

Dec 5, 11 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: