Archinect
anchor

Working in Seoul, Korea.

charlizedesign

Hello there,

Has anyone worked in Korea, Seoul to be specific?

Im trying to understand the architecture/design scene there.

I consider myself a multidisciplinary designer, hold a B.Arch. from Brazil with 6 years experience. I`ve been involved in many graphic design / exhibition design projects.

I was wondering how hard it would be for a foreigner to get a job in Seoul.

Any ideas, where to start from?

Thanks.

Feb 17, 13 9:46 pm
r0sef1nch

Hi, I am like you willing to work there. Have you been able to do it? If so could you give me advice on that? Thanks

Sep 3, 22 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
jaewonchoi

The architectural work environment in Korea is not accessible. Not only is the wage low, but there is also a lot of overtime work. There were many cases where I worked over 100 hours of overtime for a month at my firm. Also, English is not commonly used in Korean architecture firms, so you should consider the linguistic problems.

Sep 15, 22 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

Sorry this maybe a dumb question, but do Korean firms pay for overtime, comp hours, or give them bonus at the end of the year?

Sep 18, 22 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

It depends on the firms. Usually, Korean companies don't pay for overtime or pay only a small fee. For example, even if you work an extra 100 hours, the firm may pay only money for about 30 hours of overtime. I don't want to recommend starting an architectural career in Korea.

Sep 18, 22 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

Thanks. I figured. Too late for me to start another architectural career anyway. So I guess you are not working in S. Korea anymore?

Sep 18, 22 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

I restarted my career in America. I hope I can work here for a long time.

Sep 18, 22 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

It depends on the firms. Usually, Korean companies don't pay for overtime or pay only a small fee. For example, even if you work an extra 100 hours, the firm may pay only money for about 30 hours of overtime. I don't want to recommend starting an architectural career in Korea.

Sep 18, 22 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: