Archinect
anchor

Contract worker in NY

petclark

I have been pursuing my architects license in NYS for the past 6 years and have been working mainly with one architect as an independent contractor on a part time basis. Recently I completed all of the hours for the IDP, and had NCARB send my record over to the NYS Board of Professions. I then requested to take the ARE, but received a letter saying that I was not eligible to take the exam. I understand that in order to sit for the exam you are required to have at least 9 units and in order to sit for the exam and must have 12 to receive your license, with a minimum 4 units practical experience (equivalent to 4 years work experience). I called the Board and found out that I had received 7 units for my schooling, but the work experience I received over the past 6 years only amounted to 1 year of acceptable experience. I read on the NYS Board of Professions architecture website that hours earned as a contract worker or as a consultant typically will not be accepted (which I had never seen before or been told about) I was told when I called the board that in order for me to receive credit with the architect I typically work with I must be a traditional employee (ie. on payroll). Any additional work I complete as an independent contractor will not count towards my license. I wonder if anyone else has been through this? I was under the impression that if you worked under the direct supervision of an architect licensed in NYS the hours would be acceptable to the board. Whether you are a contract worker or a traditional employee is more of a tax structure issue. Figured I would put it out there and see if I am the only one in this boat. I am willing to work the next four years towards my license because I love design, architecture, and construction, but it is pretty frustrating when you work towards something and then get told that you are working the wrong way.

Feb 17, 13 2:49 pm

From the NYS Licensing website:

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/arch/archlic.htm

"Please Note: Experience obtained in any work setting as a consultant or contract worker is generally not given any credit towards the experience requirement for licensure in New York State. If you have experience as a consultant or contract worker, please have your supervisor submit a letter to the State Board for Architecture outlining your role and responsibilities on projects and how the experience gained was lawful in nature."

Feb 18, 13 10:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: