Archinect
anchor

What are architects immediately critical of when entering a building?

never heard of belly boy but the synopsis on imdb sounds horribly depressing.  if peter parker were an architect would be much more my speed.

Feb 17, 13 4:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Why aren't there any superheroes daylighting as architects?
Feb 17, 13 10:43 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

the way i look at things, pointing out technically defective work/workmanship does not constitute a criticism of the architecture but rather is drawing attention to what is obviously wrong. in criticising a design, i prefer to have good intentions in that respect.

secondly, criticism, again for me, is not so much a way of forming a judgement on a building (or for that matter, a musical performance, book and to a lesser extent films) - as if that mattered- but that these works become sites for a specific (or even general) connection of ideas that would not have occured otherwise. meaning, criticism is for my benefit nor for the buildings detriment. and then the larger picture (which will be limited by my own lack of education and lack of time allowance) will be clearer...even if the larger picture is a composite record of my thoughts bounded by their limitations

Feb 17, 13 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
collier1960

Van, I'm delighted that you came to actual architects to get input for your character. So much of the architecture profession represented on movie screens (or novels or TV) lacks even that level of research.

My blog, Building Content, is meant to be a bridge between the architectural profession and the entertainment industry. I'm writing a novel and I encourage other architects to write or film or script authentic and compelling stories.

If I can ever be of service in fleshing out character traits that ring true or by providing terminology that won't get in the way of your story, please let me know. I'd be glad to offer my 20+ years in architecture and my passion for storytelling to assist you.

Thanks,

Collier

My email is collier1960@hotmail 

My blog is http://www.buildingcontent.highercontent.com

Feb 18, 13 1:26 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

the WOW factor

Feb 19, 13 6:57 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

^

Wow- all of you above sound so miserable and disdained... 

Feb 19, 13 11:04 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

are there any robots in this movie?  robots are cool! 

how about a cad monkey that secretly designs a robot to do his work while the boss is away so that he can goof off....when he gets back the robot takes over the architecture profession and turns the boss into a slave.  ZAHA 3000! The robot then walks the streets and critiques architecture destroying anything that sucks.

Starring Jack Black and Harvey Keitel  

Feb 19, 13 11:22 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

bulgarblogger; so... when was contentedness the source of criticism?

Feb 19, 13 11:23 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Do you really think that architects gain acclaim for indicating vapor barriers and knowing how to create components and families in REVIT? no... Architects gain acclaim for designing deliberately- not by accident. Knowing how to talk about a project/concept- knowing how to critique it creates a deliberate design. Understanding solid/void relationships may not appeal to everyone, and you would certainly not talk about it with anyone on vacation, but it is most definitely an important (and basic) aspect of designing any project that has some kind of meaning. To say that is bullsh*t and what have you is being incredibly ignorant and superficial. 

Feb 19, 13 11:31 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

bulgarblogger, to whom are you addressing your post? because it seems a bit like a priest addressing an apostate audience of his own imagining ("all of you").

Feb 19, 13 11:38 am  · 
 · 
collier1960

To any architects who are seriously interested in writing scripts or novels that rightly portray our profession, as mentioned in my initial comment above (or screenwriters such as Van who seek to do the same), please connect with me. I believe there is a need and a potential audience for architectural storytelling. I'd be glad to help.

Thanks, Collier (collier1960@hotmail; http://www.buildingcontent.highercontent.com0

(PS: It seems Van may have left this forum to complete his script. Some of the shop talk, sarcasm and snarky comments may have contributed to his departure.)

Feb 19, 13 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

good.

Feb 19, 13 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Snoopy316

Did someone mention robots? Good idea, I always wanted to see another terminator movie, put an architect in it to make our profession more interesting.

Designing is not bullshit, form always follow function, always... Never the other way around.

Feb 19, 13 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

except of course for when the two have nothing to do with one another.

like a church facade by palladio.

Feb 20, 13 4:14 am  · 
 · 
Snoopy316

I believe the church facade is neither form or function, it's aesthetic

Feb 20, 13 5:55 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

the church facade was originally a tool for communication, so it was functional at one time.  Aesthetics are functional.  They convey a message of some sort. There are "soft" functions that serve the (soft sciences like psychology) and hard functions that serve the (hard sciences like physics.)  I disagree with the narrow miesian definition of function.  Even the most seemingly frivilous aesthetic adventures serve a function.  form follows function is not as linear as we like to believe sometimes function follows form...like in the case of Bilbao.

All that matters is the result, I could care less about intent.   the pyramids were built to serve a function.  The function they served at the time is irrelevant to us now.  However, they still function to inspire us.  Their value trancends their initial function as a porthole to the afterlife....This is the ultimate test of any great architecture... 

Feb 20, 13 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Human factors are critical, such as the placement of light switches behind doors or shower controls that are placed such that you get soaked with cold water turning the shower on. This extends to all aspects of design from micro to macro.

Construction quality issues are often as much about design and detailing as they are about the quality with which they are executed. Certain conditions are guaranteed to fail no matter how well built they are. Others are simply impossible to execute properly given the constraints available (budget, available labor, etc.).

There is a more philosophical level of criticism that usually comes down to purpose and potential, what a building / site could have been as opposed to what it turned out to be.

Feb 20, 13 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
vanexel711

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your continued feedback. I have not abandoned the forum, but I have been off writing, as well as making revisions to the previous draft. 

collier1960: Thank you very much for your suggestions, blog, and offer to help. I just may take you up on it! :-)

Thanks again,

Van

Feb 23, 13 1:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: