Archinect
anchor

Should I be an architect?

observant

^

If you think that falling back on civil (and/or structural) engineering can work for you should you need to, and you are willing to spend another year, then sure.

As for architecture, if you're of the variety that can "double" for an engineering, science, business, or poli sci major, then being an architect should NOT affect your ability to date attractive women.

Feb 12, 13 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
jimbodnini

Well said. 

I don't have much experience but TBH I believe architecture and structural engineering shouldn't be separated. It'd be ideal that one gets to design their own buildings, and having the expertise and practicality to make sure it stands. It sucks that the architect can only design aesthetics without considering any calculations and the engineer can only make the building stand but can't give any input on design. Just doesn't sound right to me. 

Feb 12, 13 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
observant

They HAVE to be separated.  In the first term of architecture school, we learned that architects are responsible for the spatial and enclosure systems of buildings.  That doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.  Messing up exiting computations, exiting distances, ADA compliance within spaces, and those sorts of things have serious consequences for the safety and usefulness of a building.  Messing up the skin of the building has serious consequences on the usability, longevity, economics, and comfort of a building.  We learned in pro practice (final year) that about 70% of litigation against architects has to do with the intrusion of  the elements (mainly water) into the building.  Ok, then, if managing these 2 systems is not enough, an architect will be integrating the work of other consultants, and which you will study in your program - structural, mechanical, and fire protection, among others.  I once knew how to calculate the loads on beams, deflection, and all that stuff ... and also knew how to lay out duct work ... but there are professionals who do nothing but that.   The other thing is that the set of architectural drawings, in sequence, precedes the set of structural drawings.  The structural drawings are pretty meaty, so there's no way you can realistically do both.  You can be trained in both, and some people are, but you will be focusing on one or the other.  Streamline your choices by investigating your options and getting some hands-on experience in both the A/E settings, since you seem to be straddling them and demonstrating an interest in both fields.

Feb 12, 13 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: