Archinect
anchor

Greenbuild/Chicago meetup 2007

treekiller

Enough conversation has gone on here and here to reach the consensus:

Immediately following Cameron's rousing presentation at
Emerging Green Builders Forum
Wednesday, Nov. 7, at 6 pm, a group of 'architecture sucks' and '£€$$' shirts will gather nearby and strike out in search of food.

Later that evening (say about 8pm) we will convene to the Madodnock[manadonock?] bldg's bar, The name of the place is Cavanaughs. to join up with our local compatriots for several rounds.

There also seems to plans afoot for thursday evening to go drinking with another member of this board up by there at Hamilton's Tavern by Loyola.

Who's game?

Oct 30, 07 10:34 pm
vado retro

hamilton's fuck that is way way north. thats like that third to last stop before evanston.

Oct 30, 07 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I might be, but I don't have one of those shirts.

Oct 31, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
brut

if i remember, i'm game

Oct 31, 07 8:44 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Think of the co2 you will all emitting in that confined space...not to mention the methane.

Oct 31, 07 9:22 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i have a substantial set of drawings thats gotta go out wed nov 7th but if im not at the office ill come down. I also wouldnt be able to do a thursday night thing if that hamiltons place is as far north as vado says it is.

Oct 31, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Any alternatives to the hamilton's tavern? I may have to sic evilplatypus on you...

Also, anybody have a digital voice recorder that I can borrow for the duration of the expo? I hope to interview several notables for podcasting or transcription.

Oct 31, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Dam - no ones up for adventure to Hams? Hell I live downtown and still make it up there. I suggested Hamiltons cause I thought TK was staying at that hotel up by Bryn Mawr. Im game for anything else on Thursday - maybe some Wicker Park/ UK village action would be the perfect balance from Cavanaughs on Wed.

TK - I wont be attending Cameron's lecture but I will be ready for some drinks at Cavanaughs. Its not a late place, its sort of an after work spot for comodities traders, a few random architects, so it closes around 10pm on weeknights. But fear not, there are plenty of watering holes in this town.

Oct 31, 07 9:58 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Did I mention that Hamiltons is owned by former NYC mayor Ed Koch?

Oct 31, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
hopleaf
Oct 31, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

that looks cool vado- but maybe more centralized local may be called for - or cheap ass beer. Maybe 5-Star - a proper shithole

Oct 31, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

plus 5 star has guitar hero

Oct 31, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Damn, that's too far north! This is a town of bars--I'm sure we can find something else. Might I recommend Matilda's near the Belmont el? It'd be easy for red-liners and brown-liners. Closer to the loop stuff gets a little more fancy-pants but Matilda's on a Weds night is a good bet--great atmosphere, good food, and usually quiet enough to be conversable.

Anyway, I'm in.

Oct 31, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

im a big fan of bucktown pub

but matilda's is a good bar too

Oct 31, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

andersonville is a whopping five whole stops north of belmont.

Oct 31, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

wasnt there an archinect frapper map? We could centralize based on that.

I think we were looking north because thats were TK is staying. But really, anywhere along the red/ brown line would be easy to get to

Wicker Park is off the blue or cab ride

Anywhere downtown is close to Convention

Oct 31, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I can do Thursday night. Possibly Wednesday.

Oct 31, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
n_

PS. Vado, come to Chicago. Seriously.

Oct 31, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Vado is everywhere you already are, as along as you believe that is

Oct 31, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

seems silly to drive six hours for a meetup for green building? rather hypocritical doncha think???

Oct 31, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Ok, true.

You should walk.

Oct 31, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sorry i'll b packin for engalund

Oct 31, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

are you swimming?

Oct 31, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I think he mentioned on another post that he made a boat out of post-consumer recycled Dasani water bottles.

Oct 31, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

n_ is correct, i saw it in papillon.

Oct 31, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

whoa, n_ is coming?! awesome!

vado, i was referring to the loyola bar someone mentioned--andersonville ain't too far north, but it *is* the armpit of chicago! :)

(i should know, i quasi-live there)

Oct 31, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if andersonville is the armpit of chicago, its the shaven and deoderized armpit.

Oct 31, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

So whos all in? Are we set on Cavanaughs Wed.? Or are we talking Thursday? or Both? I could honestly go anywhere. Cavanaughs is close to the convention area and loop workers and redline, maybe a good jumping off point to somewhere else? Matildas is cool to. Do I dare suggest the Big Shitty Tap?

Nov 3, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Many bars, neighborhoods, days, and times have been tossed around.

Do we have any definite answers and/or meet-up location?

I think I can only do Thursday night. And I don't think I'll have internet access after tomorrow afternoon. But, I'd love to meet some of you and discuss the finer points of sustainable design over gin and tonics.

Nov 5, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

im gonna go with the south east corner of kinzie and wabash as the armpit of chicago

as for a meet up... im down... someone make a decision.

Nov 5, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

I reckon downtown somewhurs is the best for everyone?

Nov 5, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

... and I will probably do THURSDAY if I get to hang out with n_!

Nov 5, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

better bring me my fricken Brazilian...

Nov 5, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

okay ... a Brazilian dollars is really only worth about 2 bits.

Nov 5, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

shooooot

Nov 5, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

sice I got general structures on Saturday Im only going out one night - looks like thats leaning towards Thursday. Thursday at Cavanaughs, in the Madodnak at 6:00pm.

Nov 5, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

That works for me. Who else? Anyone ... anyone?

Nov 5, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm in.

I don't have a snazzy architecture sucks so I'll give a brief physical description.

Girl. Short, brown hair. Tall. Skinny. Messenger bag with a screenprinted bird on it.

I'm pretty clumsy. Knowing me, I'll probably accidently trip over and elderly woman when I walk in.

Nov 5, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i will probably be there

Nov 5, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i dont have a tshirt either but i figure ill recognize a few people... plus marimbaONE will be hard to miss... what with the brazilian hes bringing for me and what not

Nov 5, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I am planning on going to the Art Institute free hours from 5-8 PM on Thursday (because I come from a land where we don't have to pay for museums). Anyone who would like to join me for that is welcome. If you guys think you'll still be around Cavanaughs by 8 then I'll plan on coming by.

Nov 5, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

hi everyone!

i am planning on the art institute as well (on a budget here). so, i assume architects and alcohol... you'll be there at least until 8? or maybe i'm wrong? i'll try to stop by as well.

i don't have and architecture sucks t-shirt either...

i'm avg. height/weight (i'm a girl too). shoulder length blond hair. probably more easily recognized is the bearded, fro haired mountainish man i'll be with.

hope to see some of you!

Nov 6, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 
n_

I think I'll be heading over the the Art Institute as well for a hot minute after my last seminar. I'll try to be at Cavanaughs around 7ish.

marimbaONE, I call you sometime tomorrow or Thursday. Sound good?

Nov 6, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

10-4

Nov 6, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Looking for a good cup o' joe up by the thorndale redline stop... any suggestions?

I'm also taking suggestions for lunch today in the loop- anybody able to escape the office for a bite?

hmmm, don't know if I will be online before the noon hour, but will have this cmu weight laptop with me so I can check a few times.

See ya'll at cavanaughs!

Nov 6, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I'll be at Cavanaugh's Thurs, but not till 7pm.

TK, wish I'd read your lunch request earlier--it's a bit too late for me now, but otherwise would have been down! ahh well enjoy the proceedings.

Nov 6, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Got a free lunch feeding thanks to the usgbc, so I retract that earlier request. any tips on street parking in the south loop, found a spot on michigan ave next to several nicer cars - no signs limiting time for that block.

Nov 6, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
myriam
tips on street parking in the south loop

ha ha, here's a tip : take the train

:)

(yeah yeah, i know you were expecting that one...)

seriously though, I don't know a single person who drives to the loop, not even my boss.

Nov 6, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

i'm not in the loop. the train is about a one mile walk from the hotel. at 7:30am that may be too far to bother with tomorrow.

via wK, drinks at the westin downtown bar at 10pm tonight with Cameron.

Nov 6, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
blah

"i'm not in the loop. the train is about a one mile walk from the hotel. at 7:30am that may be too far to bother with tomorrow. "

Where's your hotel?

It doesn't sound like it's downtown.

"via wK, drinks at the westin downtown bar at 10pm tonight with Cameron."

Who are these people and, forgive my ignorance, why are they important?

Nov 6, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

oh shit, i'm so bummed i missed that!!!!! ARGH

Nov 7, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: