Archinect
anchor

corporate identities

holz.box

graphic designers (e, etc) and typeface tyrants might find this site of interest.

i've been trying to figure out the font used by bulthaup for weeks.

found it here along w/ a few hundred others.

Oct 19, 07 5:08 am
holz.box

otl aicher
traffic

Oct 19, 07 5:19 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

sweet website, holz.

Oct 19, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for sharing

Oct 19, 07 10:05 am  · 
 · 
eli queen

form a graphic designer / typeface tyrant (soon to be March candidate):

that site is a good idea. unfortunately, not very accurate ... the typeface used for the bulthaup identity is otl aicher's rotis sans serif. the type in the logo is a bit more compressed than this sample. aicher probably drew a custom version for the identity.

sorry. not to be a know-it-all. just don't want you to be lead astray.

Oct 19, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
eli queen

how embarrassing (my first comment on this site and all):

traffic (designed for munich’s public transport services) is in essence rotis sans condensed.

i guess the only useful part of my mistake is that, since aicher's traffic doesn't seem to be commercially available (there are other fonts by that name that are not it), rotis would be the next closest choice.

i'll be quite now.

Oct 19, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
AP

no need to be quiet eli queen. we all screw up, some of us more than others. i appreciate your anecdote, ready as i was, w/ bulthaup catalogue in hand, to dispute your 1st statement...

my personal sentiment is that this forum could use more regularly contributing graphic design people. i've certainly learned a fair amount from e and rationalist, among others, about the subtleties of your craft.

Oct 19, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah don't sweat it queen. aicher wrote a book calledthe world as design. a good read for all.

from amazon:

Book Description
Otl Aicher's writings are explorations of the world, a substantive part of his work. In moving through the history of thought and design, building and construction, he assures us of the possibilities of arranging existence in a humane fashion. As ever he is concerned with the question of the conditions needed to produce a civilised culture. These conditions have to be fought for against apparent factual or material constraints and spiritual and intellectual substitutes on offer.

Otl Aicher likes a dispute. For this reason, the volume contains polemical statements on cultural and political subjects as well as practical reports and historical exposition. He fights with productive obstinacy, above all for the renewal of Modernism, which he claims has largely exhausted itself in aesthetic visions; he insists the ordinary working day is still more important than the "cultural Sunday".

Oct 19, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i think i post at least four stupid or erroneous comments for each factual or meaningful one. this one would probably fall in the former.

Oct 19, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

eli queen: i'll be quite now.

and quite quiet she was.  2 posts and out the door, never to be heard from again.

hey y'all i was searching for that thread about logos, maybe corporate logos, i don't know.  it had a good 100+ posts with lots of examples but i can't find it.  anyway someone posted the fedex logo and how you can see an arrow between the 'E' and the 'x' and that they can't un-see that now and i just want to say i think of that every time i see the fedex logo now so thanks a lot all right that's all ->oi!

Feb 12, 13 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: