Archinect
anchor

Laptops for school

ArchChick03

What kind of software and hardware would anyone recommend for a freshman arch student to use on their laptop.

Sep 2, 04 8:05 pm
joe

wait and see what your professors recommend to you, but I'd say photoshop, illustrator, autocad, etc. although since you are a freshman dont expect to use it that much, most school start out with hand drawing/drafting then introduce computer applications.

Sep 2, 04 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i think a digital camera is always great. you can take model shots, site shots etc. cut and paste into drawings.....

some of the other stuff, check what your school has, scanner, 11x17 color printer would be great, ....

and software too, check your computer guro at school. may uni schools arrange special buying software and laptop discounts [beyond the standard educational discounts]. schools generally will have a bias to acad, vectorworks [less costly] and a whole variety of 3d programs from 3dmax, maya, rhino, etc.

the adobe suite; photoshop, illustrator, indesign, acrobat are a must.

many of the 3d programs require larger computers and if you have a computer lab they may have the good desktops for this.

with the question you are asking, it suggest you are in highschool perhaps or in an non-arch program presently or in a community college. whatever the situation, try buying through the educ disc at the school.

most arch offices use autocad, with architectural desktop. if your just starting out, this would be a good one to learn and is 'job friendly', over many years i have learned 5-2d cad programs and while i prefer others, if you master one, the others you can pick up very quickly.

good luck in st. louis.

Sep 2, 04 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: