Archinect
anchor

St. Louis Architecture

ArchChick03

Does anyone know if there are any schools that have architecture programs in St. Louis? Are there a great number of architect job opportunities in St. Louis.

Sep 2, 04 8:01 pm
TED

Washington University...but if your still in highschool, dont worry about the jobs bit yet. hok, probably the biggest there, always hires interns {st. louis had it listed on its web site for 6 months] generally will have 20-50 positions on their web site nationwide.

Sep 2, 04 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
ArchChick03

Right now I go to a community college in Ft. Worth, TX where I am taking my basics. I will transfer to the University of Texas at Arlington next year. I was thinking about maybe going to grad school in St. Louis.

Sep 2, 04 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
ArchChick03

Isn't Washington University a really prestigious school? Is that the only school that has an arch program in St. Louis?

Sep 2, 04 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
TED

wash u is a private school and the only one offering accredidated arch program in st louis, see naab for a listing of schools nationwide that offer accrediated programs that would lead to licensure ..... didnt go there -- maybe some archinecters can voice in. cynthia weese is a great dean but i think she is stepping down at the end of this year....

Sep 3, 04 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
db

ok--so I answered your other post but am curious -- why the overwhelming desire to come to StL?

Sep 3, 04 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
db

and also -- if you (or any others around here) want a good read, check out Eric Mumford's book "Modern Architecture in St. Louis," which also includes a bit of interesting and infomative history about the WashU Arch School.

Sep 3, 04 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

st. louis is where the first "skyscraper" was built.
i dont know why i feel the need to post this.

Sep 3, 04 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
ArchChick03

A friend of mine moved there and loves it. I live in Texas now and am ready for a change so I thought why not St. Louis.

Sep 4, 04 2:11 am  · 
 · 
db

archchick, what's yur friend doing here? school at WashU or elsewhere? I actually teach in the art department at one of the other universities in town (Webster), and am currently developing a certificate program in architectural studies there that focuses on the interaction of art/arch/art history. Architectural education and licensure are starting to shift towards graduate education in general, so you may want to consider transfering to Webster (which gets you to StL -- your goal) instead of Arlington and then doing your grad work in architecture later (at WashU or elsewhere). Of course, you could also go to Arlington for Architecture.

Sep 4, 04 10:11 am  · 
 · 
ArchChick03

My friend moved there to attend Meramack (don't know how it's spelled) Community College for the physical therapy program. But if I do decide to stay in Texas I will be attending the University of Texas at Arlington.

Sep 4, 04 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: