Archinect
anchor

Owning Laptops and desktops

Pete

Several times there has been a discussion whether to buy a desktop or a laptop. Some prefer laptops other prefer desktops. Is there anyone here who has both? When and for what purpose do you use the desktop and the laptop?

Sep 2, 04 5:53 pm
TED

pete, have 2 laptops[dell xp, gateway 98] and 1 desktop[gateway 95] at home - networked together. some of my hardware such as my scanner still work great on my win 95. some software also, i use only on the 98 or 95 as i dont use it that often but still need it. my 98 laptop is generally connect to a seperate monitor, docking station and key board at home. it happily runs acad 2000adt.

my dell laptop i take everywhere and perhaps that why i have very toned biceps [it weighs a ton]. office, school, library, travel. thats my biggest regret. the weight of it and did i need to take the whole thing everywhere or just certain progams, files, email. etc?

the discussion i have scene here really focuses on what programs you want to run. 2d cads like acad run great on all my machines. i dont think you would see any difference in adobe suite, office program either. i use 3dstudio max on my xp with 4m cpu, 2.2 ghz and 512 ram. many on archinect have stated that the dual processors are really better for more complex rendering progams [i dont think you can get dual processes on laptops yet].

my dell with 3dmax is fine[although it has frozen on some more complex rendering....]. .....

Sep 2, 04 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
A

Like Ted, I had two laptops and a desktop. Last week I got mad at my old Pent. II laptop and threw it off my balcony, literally. At home I use a dual processor Pent III Dell workstation. Basically was my old powerhouse for graphics but now use it more for working ACad when telecommuting. I also have a Dell laptop which is quite new. It's a pig but the larger screen helps much when working in Cad or Photoshop. The laptop gets most of the graphic work these days but my purpose for its purchase was entirely work related so I could use it when away from the office. Even got my employer to kick in $1k and all the software for it.

The old laptop was mostly demoted to internet surfing and was very tired.

Sep 2, 04 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
ANN7

A, what model is your new Dell laptop?

Sep 23, 04 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
A

Well, the one I was referring to is nearly a year old now. Cannot believe how fast time goes. That one is an inspiron 1100 with upgraded graphics card and ram. Pent 4 - 2 ghz under the hood. Quite sure that model is discontinued by now. Does have a 15" screen but now they are up to 15.4" on some new ones.

I'm looking at upgrading to the Inspiron 8600 but not on account of the performance of my 1100. Even after all the bad press I've read about Dell their laptops have always been solid for me.

Hope that helps you. I have a good friend who works for Dell so if you have specific questions I could possibly get you some inside news.

Sep 24, 04 12:07 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

haven't i heard this same discussion??? with the same answers??? why dont u research before @ the SOFTWARE/HARDWARE section of the discussion index...anyways...no problem at all i was only doing an observation...but not really any good thing to bring to the discussion...good luck (my advice?? have at least one and one...bring more power to ur desktop...they heat less than a laptop)

Sep 24, 04 12:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: