Archinect
anchor

Faye Jones has Passed On

wackingboy

From the AIA's Norman L. Koonce, FAIA:

On Monday, a gentle man of consummate genius left us: E. Fay Jones, FAIA, died from upper respiratory complications and heart failure at his home in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He was 83 years old.

The facts of his life are these: Jones received a bachelor's degree in architecture from the University of Arkansas in 1950 and his master's in architecture from Rice University in 1951. In 1953, he received a Taliesin Fellowship, which enabled him to study with architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Jones later received an honorary degree from the University of Arkansas in 1990. Along the way, he met and married his helpmeet for life, Gus. Together the two were a living contradiction to the false notion that humility and genius cannot exist in the same place at the same time.

Jones had a long and distinguished professional career that combined teaching and practice. He taught at the University of Oklahoma and had a long tenure at the University of Arkansas as a design professor, chairperson of the department from 1966-1974 and as dean from 1974-1976.

In 1990, Jones received from President George H.W. Bush American architecture's highest honor for individual achievement, the American Institute of Architects' Gold Medal, in a special White House ceremony. Later that same day, at the AIA/AAF Accent on Architecture Gala, in Washington, Jones was similarly honored by HRH Charles, Prince of Wales.

In 1991 poll, AIA members ranked Jones among the 10 most influential architects of the time, a list that also included I. M. Pei, Robert Venturi, Charles Moore, and Michael Graves. In 2000, Jones' Thorncrown Chapel in Eureka Springs, Ark., was voted the fourth best building of the 20th century, after Fallingwater and New York's Chrysler and Seagram's buildings. Robert Ivy, FAIA, architecture scholar and critic, described Thorncrown as "arguably among the 20th century's great works of art."

In his autobiography, former President Bill Clinton wrote fondly of a Fay Jones designed house he lived in while teaching at the University of Arkansas: "I found the perfect place to live, a beautiful little house....[It] proved to be a godsend of peace and quiet, especially after I started my first campaign."

Upon learning of his passing, AIA President Gene Hopkins, FAIA, said: "This is a huge loss for the profession. He was an inspirational designer, an icon in the profession. He had a very special ability for creating space that was in perfect harmony with nature. The loss of his personal presence leaves a large void that can only be filled by the incredible legacy of the architecture he has so graciously bestowed upon us."

Fay Jones' achievements are elemental. However, elemental should not be confused with naïve or even "organic." Quite apart from the extraordinary craftsmanship and the imagination of his designs, he asserted with breathtaking simplicity the destiny and true power of architects, which is to be a respectful mediator between the world of man and nature. What is both remarkable and telling is that Jones showed at Thorncrown Chapel and in his other works that this power can be wielded not to dominate, but to advance an ennobling vision of our race.

In keynote presentation by Dr. Robert H. Schuller, Hon. AIA, at the 1989 AIA National Convention, I recall him saying that the four necessary and distinguishing traits for being or becoming a great architect are honesty, humility, hospitality, and humanity. Those terms describe so well the character, integrity, and the person of E. Fay Jones, FAIA. We will miss him greatly.

Sep 2, 04 3:56 pm

Archinect editor Alan Loomis was fortunate to have met him - his story and an image of Thorncrown Chapel

Sep 2, 04 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Gary Gnu

Fay Jones was one of my favorite architects. He seemed to exist on a different plane, one where ego was not confused with genius. At any rate, I got into a lengthy debate once where I argued that Fay Jones took the work of FLLW and perfected it. It's a tough stance to defend, given Jones' much smaller body of work.

Sep 3, 04 11:44 am  · 
 · 
sahar

My hometown would be only filled with stripped malls and 50s style housing...oh don't forget the trailers if it weren't for the Faye Jones Pinecote Pavilion. If anyone is ever in Picayune, Mississippi <stop laughing> they should check it out. Hey its 45 minutes from New Orleans so you can always call it a "side trip."

Sep 3, 04 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: