Archinect
anchor

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE WHAT PC SHOULD I BUY

tomcuise3230

Dear members,

I am trying to buy a new PC (price doesn't matter much but no more then 2,500). These are the few requirements i want:

512 RAM
30 GB
usb 2.0
a way to connect to TV via HDMI or S-video inputs
at least has windows XP home edition or media center

I will be using mainly for selling item on ebay, surfing, downloading vidoes from site like rapidshare and saving to an external HD, watching anime/drama by connecting a TV, and playing MMORPG games like world of craft (but not games that require the latest graphic card etc). I won't be doing nothing like video/picture editing, burning CD or DVD or anything that require a lot of processing power.

Please also let me know any other feature I should also look for. thank you very much!

Oct 16, 07 10:00 am
aquapura

Dude, you are out of date with those requirements. Not even sure if Dell or HP sell anything that stripped down anymore.

For what you want just go with whatever deal you can find from any of the big PC assembly line companies. With Windows Vista I'd suggest a min of 2 GB memory. Get the upgraded version with Windows Media Center and add the TV tuner and you'll have everything you need.

Recently bought a Dell for about $600 for similar home use needs. That price included the 22" flat panel wide screen, TV tuner & upgraded Windows and memory. For those prices who cares if it's the greatest quality...I can afford to replace it every other year. Do google searches for coupon codes. Enjoy.

Oct 16, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

ATI and Nvida both sell vid cards that let you watch T.V. or connect to T.V.s. Wether they are HDMI I have no clue, but your primary concern is buying a video card that has those outputs/inputs. Search their prospective web sites for specifics. Frankly, I'd rather build my own P.C. than buy a new one. If you want one bone cheap you may be able to buy a second hand tower (your requirements are not high enough to justify spending 2500 on a rig), with a 1.5 gig CPU and your basic requirments, than have someone install a video T.V. card for you (or do it yourself). Oh, and if you're planning on downloading videos and what not you will need WAY more than a 30 gig hard drive. Try more like 100 gigs at the very least.

Oct 16, 07 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh, and please never post anything in all caps. It is obnoxious.

Oct 16, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Arzo

i use all caps for my drawing notes. is this obnoxious?

Oct 16, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Personally i think it is, yes. I know thats the norm, but I pretty much think its annoying.

OR I COULD JUST POST ON THE NECT LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME TO.

NEW CONSTRUCTION TO MATCH EXISTING. BITCH.

Oct 16, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

build your own i sell PC's with these specs for 200$ basically

Oct 16, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Antisthenes - when I was computer shopping recently I found going through Dell or HP...at least for the low end...was cheaper than building my own. With combining coupons, free shipping, monitor & software included the price just didn't compare. Granted, I'm sure they aren't the best components, but as I said, for $600 I can replace it often.

Oct 16, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

Windows Vista blows. Go with XP. Wait a couple years for them to get all the frigging bugs straightened out. I "upgraded" to Vista and now all my computer does is crash.

Oct 16, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i would say NEVER go for a major brand PC

shop for Motherboard HD ram cd etc at pricewatch.com or pricegrabber.com

start with a motherboard get and CPU ram and HD to match it.

in your case i would aim low and go cheap

Oct 16, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

2.3 ghz celeron for 21.50$
p4 1.7 for 17$
i see 34$ motherboards from most all ( asus ecs msi ...)

or if you prefer amd a sempron fan cpu motherboard ram combo for 127$

http://www.partspc.com/Recommend.asp?Qty=1&ProdID=12982&imageField3.x=37&imageField3.y=11

just add CD drive and case. ~ 60 bucks

Oct 16, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Architcture is cool... Macs are cool... Put one and one together... Really really cool...

Oct 16, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

Let me make some thing clear so not to confuse anybody:

what i meant by minimum requirements was at least it should be that; not i want to buy the exact minimum requirements. so i didn't know the minimum req. of mine is out of date because i didn't buy a desktop pc in 6 years. I am only looking for brand new desktop pc not any laptop. Also what i meant by watching it on TV instead of laptop was not having a TV tuner so i can watch it on my PC, but watch all the dowloaded videos i have saved on my hard drive and watching it on Tv by connecting tv to pc (like one of the cables you get to connect dvd to tv or something similar to it that i want in a PC which is a MUST)

And i don't want any vista editions because of many reports on the internet of having bugs/problems etc, so i will settle for any windox xp edition (or should you think i should get linux OS type PC: will that work for my needs?) I won't be doing much business with it (like use microsoft word) on ebay just list some items normally, so that shouldn't be any concern of what pc i want to buy (sorry for that).

so with this conclusion, I think I should get a pc within price range of $700 to $1100 that has at least these requirments: 1 gb ram, cd-rom (i don't care about cd-dvd combo or any of the kind: if its included thats fine), High Definition 7.1 Sound (is their something better then this), 500 mb memory, 80 gb, last for more then 1 year, and something that connects tv to a pc (A MUST!). The real reason i want to buy a brand new PC and not a laptop is because i don't want to waste time having the laptop power on and off, will have the privilage to use a pc anytime and watch videos saved on my hard drive on a tv by connecting to it from my pc. (sorry to sound as if i am explaining it again)

So from the above notes, do you have any specific suggestion of PCs i should get and just to let you know i will be buying only with a credit card.

Oct 16, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

tom, all you need to connect a PC to a T.V. is a cable, go to a computer store and ask them for exactly that. If you want HDMI or S-Video you will have to look up video cards that can produce those respective siginals and have the appropriate outputs. Like I said Nvidia and ATI can probably help you out there, go to their websites and do some research.

Oct 16, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Get a 20" iMac. It includes software to watch DVD's, a remote, and a mini-DVI output on the back if you want to connect it to a television. Plus, it's stable as hell and will hold its value much longer than any Windows-based machine.

Oct 16, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Blasphemy LiG, pure blasphemy! I take it you use Vectorworks at the office too!?

Just breaking balls man, but god i hate Macs.

Oct 16, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Actually I've been using Windows and AutoCAD for well over a decade, but I'm switching to Mac and ArchiCAD next month (at least for home use).

I don't understand why Macs inspire such hatred.... The OS is Unix-based and virtually bulletproof, and you can still run Windows natively if needed. In fact, most people who do so will say that Windows runs better on a Mac than it does on a PC.

Oct 16, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

apu - just because you're struggling with an all-mac office does not mean you should take it out on the boys and girls from cupertino. seriously!

Oct 16, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think most of my office would gladly switch to a Mac platform, except for the fact that our IT consultant insists on us using Windows-based PC's... Probably because it means steady employment for him.

Oct 16, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

dude(ette) - i will solve your problem

go to puget systems - have them custom build your machine. i did, but for a heavy duty gaming/3d/cad/graphics/(occasionally adult material) machine.

i do not regret it at all - and the price for the custom rig beat any custom builder out there

24/7 support via phone and remote control (dont worry - you have to authorize it via secured conxx)

i think the website is www.pugetsystems.com or puget.com

Oct 16, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

My beef with macs is they just feel very dumbed-down. Great for everyday users, but I like to play with my comps, open them up, mod them, play around in the console, etc.

Oct 16, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I wish that Apple would get their shit together and decide if they are a software company or a hardware company. As an ex-Mac owner, yet their OS is superior, no doubt, but their machines...while sexy...are expensive. You can't go down the street and buy an "off the shelf" Mac for $500. As for resale...I want that in a car...not outdated computer equipment.

Same goes for the ipod, they got good software (at least original) and the hardware is the best looking out there...but not the most reliable or packed with the most features. Would it kill them to have an owner replaceable battery or add a built in radio tuner?

tomcruise...you must be a bigger youtube fanatic than vado if your primary need is to watch video on your tv.

Oct 16, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

add 20 more bucks to the price i quoted you for 1 gig ram
most cheap nvidia graphics cards have a TV out.

back in the day i started with the first ATI all in wonder on a pII but after so many issues with their cards and drivers i have avoided them

as far as Macs no way! that is such a denial of the individuals freedom (dumbed down) by a corporation more monopolistic that microsoft

you will be better building your own in the long run

the parts you can get now would not be outdated but low end
if you want outdated you could always get a old pc and format it with a custom(like: eXPerience tiny2003 Vista edition) build of windows as well, i'm certain it would meet your needs with a few minor upgrades.

whatever you do, 700 is the price of a very semi high end self built machine, don't spend that much based on what you require

Oct 16, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

FOR THOSE REQUIREMENTS, JUST HEAD OUT TO OFFICE DEPOT, YOU CAN GET A DECENT COMPUTER FOR A LOW PRICE WITH A GOOD WARRANTY IF YOU WANT, YOU CAN GET THOSE REQS, WITH A GOOD WARRANTY FOR ABOUT 4OO OR SO.....

Oct 16, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

ACTUALLY YOU COMPUTER WILL BE HAVE BETTER SPECS THAN THOSE YOU MENTION, BUT STILL FOR ABOUT 4 BILLS

Oct 16, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Just make sure you get a computer with a functioning caps lock key.

Oct 16, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I just went to BestBuy.

Those iMacs are soooo pretty!! Just a superb job.

If Mac would just give a good warranty and Autodesk would support Macs I'd buy tomorrow.

I might buy my mom the imac for xmas to replace the Dell I got her. Just 'cause it's so damn pretty and so insanely simple!!

Oct 16, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm still torn between getting the 24" iMac or a Mac Pro tower. With the student discount, the base model Mac Pro is only $150 more than the top-of-the-line iMac (not including the cost of a new display, but I have my existing 19" Dell display I can use for now). The iMac has the sexy looks and slim lines, but the Mac Pro has the muscle and the long-term flexibility I like to have. I wish I could buy one of each.

Oct 16, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

LiG, although i'm a pc person, my sister has the mac pro tower and it's siiccckk.. the real problem with getting it is that you know you'll have to get the $900 23-inch display. it just doesn't seem right with anything else.

Oct 16, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Yeah, that's the problem. The 23" display would be my bare minimum... Knowing me, I'd probably find myself trying to find some way to rationalize getting the 30" monster.

Oct 16, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

Also, to let you know i will only be using credit card not store credit card (bestbuy,circuit city) so they won't take my credit card if i buy in store (maybe online and if i buy online how long does it take to arrive?)

I also won't be saving videos on internal hd but an external seagate hds (5 year warranty) thats because i don't want to have my internal hd give up on me very quick because by downloading videos on it some of the time.

I also won't be buying a MAC because it doesn't have enough features like windows, don't play many PC games and a lot expensive.

From your comments, Is this the right hardwares for me (i am not purchasing the exact product but similar to it if it meets my requirements):

Motherboard
[AMD] Asus M2NPV-VM
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=3875

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ AM2 DUAL CORE
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=3805

Ram
Kingston Value 1GB DDR2-667 (2x512MB)
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=4371

Video Card
GigaByte GeForce 7300GS 128MB (256MB shared) QUIET PCI-E
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=3783

Sound Card
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=4487

CD / DVD Rom
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=4479

Accessories
ATI TV Wonder 650 PCI TV Tuner
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=4609

Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium (it has windows media center)

Monitor
Undecided (i won't be watching videos from laptop from faraway but by connecting it to tv) should i get a widescreen or normal?

should i get a tower pc or something like this:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=3889

Keyboard
Microsoft Multimedia Optical Combo (black)
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=1440

Mouse
Microsoft Optical Tilt Wheel
http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=1654

System Price: $1,406.06 (with a monitor)

What must also be included in:

Dial-up modem (if possible build-in not usb connected)

Build-in Fax and Scan without using a fax machine (windowx vista business has it but it doesn't have windows media center so i don't want that)

At least 6 Month warranty

Can play HD dvd download videos

Can you also tell me if I also buy a Remote Control for Windows Media Center will it work only with windows media player or others like zoom player? Thats all i want to know so please help me out! :)

Oct 17, 07 7:40 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

puget systems builds top notch computers. pretty sure they'll set you back more than the big name companies though. I know several people that work in the tech field that swear by them for their personal at home work. They have some sexy boxes too.

widescreen monitors are nice, but not necessary. seems everyone is going that way though. would strongly suggest the 2gb ram with windows vista. I've been using vista for about 4 months now with no problems on 2gb ram and dual core AMD chip. No crash or freeze up yet, but I haven't worked it too hard (it's a home computer). Not sure about the remote control...never used mine yet. That ATI card will tune in digital hdtv for sure...video card should be able to play hd then.

Oct 17, 07 11:18 am  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

aquapura you said "That ATI card will tune in digital hdtv for sure" does that mean an ATI card is sole purpose is to tune in tv because i don't want a tv tuner. I guess i will get 2 RAM.
Also if i decide to build my own computer how long does it take because i never done it before and will it be not to hard?

Oct 17, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

you want 64 bit and vista?

Oct 17, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

A "TV Tuner" card's sole purpose is to put a TV signal on your computer screen. Plug in your CATV or antenna and get your American Idol playing right next to your ebay auction. If you don't need that...save the $100.

Visa media center does work as a pretty sexy DVR so that can save you your Tivo or cable tv subscription...and more hardware sitting next to the tv...but requires the TV tuner. That's why I have it. And yes, I pipe it right out of the computer back onto the TV screen via the video & sound card.

Forbes magazine did a pretty good write up about the virtues of windows media center and how much better it is than apple's itv.

Oct 17, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Make that cable tv rented DVR. For what Comcast charges...you could buy several TV tuner cards in a year.

Oct 17, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

[url=http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_xpsdt_410?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs]tomcuise,
get any of these on this page they all do 10 times what you want under $2000[/url]

Oct 17, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
now
Oct 17, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

if i get one with windows vista ultimate do i need more ram and memory then if i get windows vista home preimium (don't want windows vista business because it doesn't have windows media center).
Also, is their a software that has a fax/scan build in or a external hardware (so i don't need to buy wiindowx vista ultimate only any windows edition that has windows media center).
Also, please let me know what individual part are recommended to build my own computer. thank you very much

Oct 17, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

media center is all hype

what you want is gordian knot and media player classic

Oct 17, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Quote of the day from a friend who works for a company that designs computer hardware. ie. electrical engineer.

"The only people that build their own computers are IT nerds that have to do it on a daily basis for their job and want people to think they're smart. The rest of us don't waste our time and let someone else making $10/hr waste their time doing that."

Oct 17, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

i changed my mind about having a computer that has fax/scan modem build in because you can fax online to other fax machines.
I guess i won't be building a computer because i might mess up and dont have the time right now.
what i want to know is do i need windows media center to connect my computer to TV (using s-video or another similar method) because thats the sole reason i wanted a windows media center?

Oct 17, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

5 plugs i don't think you can mess it up ;)

having the video card that has TV out your pc is already hooked up to it
by going to display properties and picking tv and monitor.

Oct 17, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
grid

save some money and build it yourself. If you put it together you will know how to fix if you have problems. It's easier than building a model. www.newegg.com has everything you need.

Oct 18, 07 1:30 am  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

Can you tell me do i need a sound card if i don't buy an external audio system (i will be only using normal headphones).

Oct 18, 07 6:53 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Those prices you quoted are pretty expensive. I bought my sister a Dell for about 1,500 that was much, much faster than that and included a 24" LCD. Look for the $350 off of $999 computers or similar deals (www.techbargains.com)

I would strongly recommend NOT trying to build your computer. No warranty, costs more, little compatibility, etc., etc.

It's personal opinion, but I woudl never do it. It's like building a car. Sure, you can get a 600hp V-8, but if you get the wrong transmission, it'll never work well (not to mention the warranty part, which I am a huge proponent of - next day, on site with the new part is hard to beat).

External Drives - these are not going to be any more reliable than internal drives. They are essentially the same thing, just one has it's own case and power supply.

Oct 18, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

If i don't need a sound card (because i won't be using an external stereo system) will this computer below will be fine for my need (it has 8 Integrated High Definition audio channels but what does that mean?):

HP Pavilion M7667C-B(RC644AA) 22" LCD Core 2 Duo E6400(2.13GHz) 2GB DDR2 600GB NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE Windows XP Media Center - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107502

Oct 18, 07 8:37 am  · 
 · 
tomcuise3230

Or this one:
4600+ EXTREME SERIES COMPLETE:
# AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ AM2

# AMD SOCKET AM2 STANDARD COOLING FAN

# Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2/nforce 590 SLI/Wifi/ATX Motherboard

# AENEON AMPO 2GB DDR-2 800MHZ PC-6400 (2X 1GB)

# Seagate ST3250620AS 250GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB

# IBM 48X CD-ROM DRIVE

# nVidia Ge-Force 8400GS 256MB w/TV-OUT/DVI PCI-Express Video Card

# Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 24-bit Sound Card, Bulk

# ENCORE 10/100Mbps PCI Adapter

# AGERE V.92 PCI Fax Modem

# BBC MID-TOWER ATX TYPHOON CASE

# OKIA A-POWER 500 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY

# 103 Keys PS2 Basic Keyboard (Black)

# I-MICRO 800dpi PS/2 Optical Mouse (Black)

# ViewSonic VG2030WM 20.1 inch 500:1 8ms DVI w/Speaker LCD Monitor (Black)

# WINDOWS XP-HOME EDITION W/SP 2

Grand Total: $1,019.90+SH

Oct 18, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 
obelix

This one looks nice...

Oct 18, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

Oops, didn't post. Whatever.

Oct 18, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

if you build your own you will save 1/2 or more off the cost and you can't mess it up as long as you know what matching parts to get as far as ram cpu and motherboard

from the posts you make about systems it seems you have veered off your original intention and want to build near a bestish box rather than a 200-400$ solid PC that will meet your intended purposes, is this right?

as far as knowing how to build/work on your own car that is important too to get affordability, security, and a unique custom ride

either way. watch your footprint

Oct 19, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: