Archinect
anchor

Experience/no license in that state

poop876

I'm about to start on a project and I'm going through reciprocity for New Mexico in order to start the work and have been in touch with New Mexico.

Today I get a letter stating something like this:

"We've received your application and we investigated your company and on your website you are listing a project that was built in New Mexico but we can not find any licenses under your companies name, therefore the reciprocity application will be on hold until resolved"

I didn't' even know I had something listed in New Mexico on my website so I went online and looked it up. I do indeed have a project listed in New Mexico that was built very long time ago while I worked on under my dad, who was an architect as well and passed away long time ago.

My father was an architect and I worked under him (no license at that time), then when I got licensed we started a partnership, and when he passed away I kept practicing under a new name so the project list are all combined and because we've worked together as architects I still am keeping all flat files for record. 

On my website it simply has a category "experience" and that project and state is listed on a  long list of projects, not stating what the experience was, if I signed it etc. As an architect and the website being for an architecture firm I could be implying I performed architectural services for that project, but the truth is I don't' say anything except the name of the project and state. 

I offered, if it is satisfactory to them, to take down the name of the project, but I really don't feel like I should because I did perform the work ("design" call it whatever) on that project.

What do you think? Any input is appreaciated.

Jan 14, 13 3:29 pm
drums please, Fab?

maybe you can clarify that on your website.  like say who the architect was and that you were the designer/drafter or whatever.  break up your experience based on for whom you worked so it doesn't look like you're taking credit as the architect for everything listed.

or just take it down.  i mean, if you've got a 'long list of projects' in your experience, is that one you did in new mexico really getting you a lot of work?  are clients saying 'oh i wasn't sure about you, but then i saw the fine print that you did a project in new mexico, you're hired!'.

Jan 14, 13 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

When the website was created, we just went to the spread sheet with all the project and just selected and pasted. Didn't think too much about it at that time. It did show a range of projects in different states, but you are right. I took it down already, but now I have to see what the the board has to say.

Funny thing is, the reason I'm getting my license there is to renovate that same project listed on the site.

Jan 15, 13 8:13 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Wow, that is incredibly ridiculous.  Just because you are an architecture firm does not remotely mean that all of your projects require architectural services; nor does it mean that you personally stamped each of them - you could have had a partner in-house at the time with a New Mexico license, etc.  This really sounds like a misunderstanding.  I would write to them and explain exactly what you stated above, and just ask them what they want you do to in this situation.  Open up the question to them.  ("Given this background information, what would be my best course of action per NM guidelines?" or something.) Also be sure to note that you did review the website with your legal counsel & that s/he is confident of legality / standard practice etc.  (Assuming you did run it past your lawyer...)

I wouldn't take it off your website, this is a mistake of theirs and personally you should have your full history listed.  Why go deleting projects that are perfectly fine off your history?  You probably have a bunch of other projects in there that didn't need a stamp.

Jan 15, 13 10:48 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I will do anything to satisfy them because I don't want them to deny my license, because one of the first questions applying for a license in any state is "have you ever been denied a license" and I don't want that on my record. I will work with them.

I agree mantaray, it is pushing it a little bit but I did reply to them with what I said before and now its going before a review committee to decide. If I'm denied my license I will get our attorney involved because it is ridiculous.

And now that we actually reviewed all the projects listed...that was the only one I did not stamp.

Jan 15, 13 11:01 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

woop woop thats the sound of the police woop woop that architecture police...

Jan 15, 13 11:29 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely work with them to satisfy their request, and if you're really ok with taking a piece of work off your list fine.  But they are definitely crossing the line of legality & should be open to discussing the situation with you.

Jan 15, 13 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Oh just to update you all! They were fine with my offer to remove the project of the list. Received my license number, ordered the rubber stamp, got it and sent the rubber stamp back to them for the printed license for the wall....woohoo!

Feb 8, 13 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Yay, happy ending!

Feb 8, 13 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: