Archinect
anchor

gender-specific teaching?

single-gender classes

: they're rolling this program out in south carolina. while separating genders is fine, the different approaches to teaching seem to reinforce tendencies that maybe don't need to be reinforced?

from the descriptions, i would have done so much better in the girls' version of these classes. and i don't suppose they let you choose...

Oct 1, 07 5:54 am

Steven, I'm there with you. Well, actually I'd hope not to be, since being an extremely tactile learner, it sounds like I would've done a lot better in the boys' classroom!

Maybe that's how they should divide it up, instead of by sex- have a visual class, an audial class, and a tactile/spatial class?

Actually I've tried this before to some extent. My middle school algebra class was just the size for two separate classes, so the teacher decided to experiment by having a boys class and a girls class. On average the girls did better.... but I didn't.

Oct 1, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm bristling at this idea. Not because I don't think separating genders helps kids focus, it does.

But letting girls study the chemical components of cosmetics because it will be more engaging for them? What about "You have to learn this topic because you have to, it doesn't matter if it interests you or not". I think some learning has to be done that way, too.

The world is becoming so self-involved.

Oct 1, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I wonder if there is more of a difference between individuals than between the sexes (biologically speaking) and all these perceived differences are due to nurturing/mass media/prejudices/etc.

I personally find that I have to tailor things more per individual rather than per gender…

Oct 1, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Gearing education towards the individual would be ideal, but I don't think we have the time or resources for such a thing. Gearing education towards the gender is probably the easiest and most accurate to ASSUME GENERAL tendencies, because scientifically there are slight but distinct learning patterns. The problem with it are the people that are exceptions to the rule and I'm sure there are a lot of exceptions.

Anyone ever take the online Sex Test, where you do aptitude tests in visualization, math and verbal skills and they tell you whether you are male or female based on the answers?

Oct 1, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I haven't taken the test but it sounds interesting.

Do you have a link?

Oct 1, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Was it this one? It was completely convinced that I'm a man (although many nectors make that mistake as well). But it is skewed by my architectural training: there is one spatial ability section on there in which men typically perform far better than women, which I would expect any architect to score perfectly on.

Oct 1, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Yeah, that is the one. Surprisingly, I scored perfectly on that test where you see the person's eyes and guess what they're expressing.

Oct 1, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Hmm... I scored that I'm a woman, and I got 19/20 correct on the "detect whether it's a real or fake smile" test.

Oct 1, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hmmm i just checked in the men's room. i m a guy.

Oct 1, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
deliver

i got man brain

space perception 90% because of architecture - but then measured my fingers wrong (which brought the score down)

Oct 8, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I took the test a few days ago.

I have a female brain. I am a female. Yay, my brain and gender match!

Oct 8, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm a tree.

Oct 8, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: