Archinect
anchor

.....Speaking of blogs

TED

Since many of you have blogs outside the school blog, it might be nice to discuss the +/- of the of various hosting platforms/image loading/comments/current and future technologies to be aware of.

Any thoughts?

Sep 30, 07 1:07 pm
Luis Fraguada

Hola TED. I have been using:

Simple PHP Blog

It is not just a clever name, it is dead simple. Unzip and upload files to your server. The hardest thing (which was not hard at all) was making an encrypted passwords file, and all you basically do is copy, paste, and upload.

It is also easy to tinker with for the people who know their html and php..i.e. very customizable.

When I am working with this stuff, I install XAMPP on my computer, a quick and simple wed development environment. Takes care of installing Apache, PHP, MySQL, and various other doodads. So, if I want to tinker with the blog, I copy all of the files to my machine, and can mess with it there.

Cheers!

p.s. how are you?

Sep 30, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

FWIW - i use Wordpress to publish my food blog and it's been good to me. (haven't update in a bit...but i got a few on the way!)

pretty robust feature sets, many available free themes, and if you're inclined to get in and mess with code, you can customize all the CSS you want.

they also offer many popular widgets/features including tag clouds, flickr streams, comments, rss/xml feeds as well as trackbacks, pings and instant updates to technorati.

i used to use blogger back in the day, but found the interface to be too clunky and annoying. i prefer wordpress by far. you can also, for small fees, upgrade to a variety of other more technical features including domain masking, linking to your gmail domains accounts (i think..) among others.

my web-head buddy was paring down his internet footprint before setting off on a round-the-world trip...and he's chosen to export all of his customized Movable Type content from self-hosted to a web-hosted wordpress blog...he was just that impressed.

one of my favorite recent finds is a add-on for firefox called deepest sender which improves further on the GUI for posting/editing/etc.

btw - i don't work for wordpress, but i do think they make a great product!

Oct 1, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

perhaps i need a blog as i have nothing to say.

Oct 1, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

vado - you have archinect.

Oct 1, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I use blogger.com for my blog. I am guessing that Blogger is owned by Google since whenever I am logged into Gmail I am logged into Blogger.

Anyway, I find it very easy to use......I've been trying to relaunch my website for a while but I never had the time to totally create one from scratch. The good thing about Blogger is they have some templates for you to use but you can insert your own HTML if you want as well. I don't quite find it "clunky and annoying" like mighty, but then again, I am not trying to reinvent HTML coding either. It's fine for what I need to do, which is talk a lot about a bunch of random things.

Oct 1, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

dubbers - they may have re-invented their own code once they were brouhgt under the google helm, but back when i first started messing around with it i hated the way photos and images were imported and it could all be simply my naivete at the time...if i went back now after its been google-ized i might love it.

but then again...i still think wordpress is the shiznits.

and you're the one throwing sheep around anyways! ;-)

Oct 1, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

mighty might....took a look at your blog...and put it on favorites....as the Lady Architect in this house...reads food magazines like I draw details.

Saw your Zappa bitty....Saw him perform at Smith College, 1972.
Smith was still all female. The Girlfriend of my roomate was on the
entertainment committee so she had tickets she wasn't going to use
and ask me if I might like to have them. So my other roomate and myself hitchhiked up to Amherst saw the show and hithed hiked home. They did put on a very special show for those IVY LEAGUE GIRLS! Richard Nixons daughter was a student their at the time....

Oct 1, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

THAT'S AWESOME SNOOK!

i am, unfortunately, a smidge too young to have seen him live. i got into FZ at an early age, but he dies before i had the chance to get out and see him live. he wasn't performing much in the last couple of years i think. was mostly working on Civilization Phase III and some other random compositions that may never see the light of day.

i did however just see Zappa Plays Zappa with Dweezil, and I must say it rocked. sure it's not the real thing, but it's the closest i'll ever get.

they did a few numbers with FZ up ther on a big screen, playing (pre-recorded obviously) while the live band played along. it was some pretty sick music-video-clicktrack type affair, and it was great.

i tried to get some of the original offering from Lagunitas, but the best they could give me were some unused bottle labels. the beer is all gone!

Oct 1, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Archinect.net will introduce a blog system that will allow any registered members to set up their own blogs (not just school blogs). We may also have a tool allowing those with existing Wordpress, Blogger, etc. blogs to transfer to an Archinect blog.

Oct 1, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

can i get one with the Vado Retro theme?

Oct 1, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

mighty might.....I forgot to say the place was packed with Smithies...Think we were the only two guys in the first 10 rows.

Oct 1, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

we are using wordpress.

interface is easy, uploading took a little while to figure out, mostly cuz i had no clew. we played with css a fair amount but really blindly and trial and error was the mode of choice. being used to dreamweaver and fireworks didn't help at all....

once installed though it works pretty easy. write text, upload images, done....

Oct 1, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Archinect, any new information on when the new site will come up.

Oct 10, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: