Archinect
anchor

Need to learn/master FormZ fast: Is tutorial provided at FormZ website adequate?

archconnect

If not...anyone have any other suggestions?

Sep 1, 04 1:45 am
trace™

It's probably decent, although I've never gone through one. Their documentation is better than most.
I'd suggest buying a book. Go to Amazon and search. There should only be a few, look at the reviews, and buy one.

Sep 1, 04 9:18 am  · 
 · 
A

I used their tutorial that came with the different printed guides. It gives you an idea how to run the program. Not sure about mastery. It takes time but FomZ is considered one of the easier programs to run.

Sep 1, 04 11:12 am  · 
 · 
timm

I worked with FormZ all through school. I learned it fairly quickly with absolutely no prior computer experience. I would get their tutorial/guidebook to start off with. It'll get you the basics and as I'm sure you know, the more you play, the more you learn :)

Sep 1, 04 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
greengoblin
http://www.stem3d.com/

expensive but get you up to speed

Sep 1, 04 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

like the others said, buy a book and start modeling a project...
you'll get the hang of it soon enough

=D

RTFM

Sep 1, 04 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Ormolu

Start with the tutorial from the website. Make sure it is the full .pdf book that goes through all the tools - not any of the far more advanced project-specific mini-tutorials that are also available on the site.

The downloadable tutorial is a better way to learn most of the 3D tools than any of the 3rd party books out there, but: the tutorial doesn't get into rendering at all (or surface styles, decals, texture mapping, lighting, etc.)
There's a downloadable reference book for RenderZone on the FormZ site as well, but it is quite advanced for someone new to the application, and not written as a tutorial.

The tutorial itself is not long - you should be able to complete it all in a few days or a week. After that you might want to look at one of the 3rd party books because they'll help with rendering, lighting, etc as well as give you more practice projects. In my opinion the best book for a beginner is "INSIDE FormZ." But I don't think the most recent edition of the book is actually caught up to the most recent versions of the software, which presents some problems because the software changed significantly in its last few iterations.
A second-best book is "Into 3D with FormZ", which does come in a version for FormZ 4.

Sep 1, 04 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
archconnect

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Y'all are great!

I will probably get a book or get whatever's at stem3d.com

regards

Sep 1, 04 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.agu.se/

The desktop companion & tutorials are awesome. For sure get the desktop companion to see an example of what every tool & setting produces. Seriously, this book is INVALUABLE.

Sep 1, 04 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
archconnect

Virtual-architect I have one question:

Are the tutorials/companion available from agu.se good for a total FormZ beginner such as myself?

On a side note, I do have AutoCAD experience.

thanks

Sep 2, 04 5:10 am  · 
 · 

hey ac...

I use the companion as a major visual aid when trying to figure out how to model specific geometry. It is totally invaluable!! I have not seen their tutorials book, but guessing from the high quality of their desktop companion, it should be great. Honestly, you will not be disappointed with them.

Sep 2, 04 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: