Archinect
anchor

Spatial Ironies

To bring up the level of discussion and water the intellectual thirsty among us, I propose this thoughtful thread to point ironic incidents in our cultural topographies.
watch this;
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=534073&fr=

Sep 22, 07 6:39 pm

all function, no personal interaction: the perfect modern restaurant?

Sep 22, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

is this a spatial irony? this strikes me as a spatial necessity

Sep 22, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Katze
gotta get a plate turner
Sep 22, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
grid

like OMA's parc de la villette competition entry?

Sep 23, 07 12:11 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

katze, brilliant. that took me back to the 90s low-budget indie film days a la richard linklater and kevin smith. whatever happened to independent film, music, etc? seems everyone eventually whored out.

Sep 23, 07 12:22 am  · 
 · 
Katze

jafidler - yeah, wasn't that flick a kicker? :) I'm heading to the nearest ShopKo as we speak.

Sep 23, 07 1:55 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

frank lloyd wright's vandamm house, mount rushmore, south dakota

Sep 23, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

is that the one in north by northwest - or just sorta like it? i always loved the one in the movie.

Sep 23, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

yup. it's not actually frank lloyd wright. it was built by mgm set designers for hitchcock. i was watching north by northwest this afternoon, remembered how much i liked the house, and did a little research on it.

Sep 23, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Have you seen "A Summer Place"? There are exterior shots of Wright's Walker House in Carmel, CA, but then the interior is all Hollywood pastiche. Weird.

Sep 24, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

there is a restaurant in chinatown, san francisco, where you don't ask for food but just fish a plate form a sort of water thing. just like you get you luggage from the carousel at the airport.

then of course, you have to compete with other people who may be waiting the same plate. some interesting thing happen, instead of having a civilized dinner, the atmosphere actually gets a little tense, even among friends.

Sep 24, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
deliver

is this ironic because this contemporary mannerist room shouldnt have this "technology"? thats very consequent. the technology shines through though ey

Oct 8, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: