Archinect
anchor

community involvement anybody?

veuxdeux

i'm doing an initial search of design professionals around the country who have formed or sponsor an organization geared toward
community involvement? we would like to invite them to be a keynote speaker for a conference so if you have contact infomation that would be helpful.

Aug 31, 04 7:53 pm
edmund.l.liang

where are you located?

Aug 31, 04 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
enzo76

John Peterson of Peterson Architects in SF has a wing of his firm called Public Architecture which does pro bono work for the community. Great work.

Public Architecture

Peterson Architects

Aug 31, 04 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

oklahoma state university, usa

Aug 31, 04 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Talk to Tom Dutton at miami University. IF your near cincinatti we are having a community development charrette there on Sept. 17-19th

Also Dan Pitera, Maurice Cox, Bryan Bell might be worth contacting.

I second the motion for John Peterson..

Aug 31, 04 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

Dan Pitera is definitely worth contacting. He will be a Harvard Loeb fellow beginning this year and I believe his research is based on community involvement/development. His practice is in Detroit with the University of Detroit Mercy, AKA DCDC - and his work with the communities within Detroit has gained ground breaking achievements. Also look for an architect named Terrance Curry (sp?) the person who started the DCDC - I don't know where he is now.

you can find more info at www.arch.udmercy.edu

Aug 31, 04 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Father Curry is still in Hungary and should be back at Fordham soon. If your looking for more of an international flavor we are involved in a couple of projects in Africa and the Middle East.

I think I'm supposed to speak in Oklahoma next year??

Cheers.

Fyi Dan and Maurice are already up at Harvard.

Aug 31, 04 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

FYI - father curry gave me nightmares.

Aug 31, 04 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

???? really, he's a pushover ????

how far back did you know him? or am I crossing the line?

Aug 31, 04 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

. . . he should stay in hungary. unless he lossened up, he does have quite a sense of humor. i had him on a critique my freshman year. he told one "student to grow some balls." he had a pretty infamous way of reviewing students. i know it's all good, but at the time i felt very scared.

i didn't have him as a professor -

Aug 31, 04 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

. . . this was back when he was at UofD mercy . . .

Aug 31, 04 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

he was pretty mellow when I met him at Fordham. We talked about setting up a community based architecture school with Dan.

Aug 31, 04 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

don't get me wrong, he's a great guy. i was just scared of him as a freshman.

aah. very interesting. communities need to learn the importance of design and value of collaboration. i had dan pitera twice for studio at uofd mercy.

Aug 31, 04 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
jap

try Dan Rockhill at the University of Kansas, his studio 804 graduate students deal with community relations and designing for a community. It might not be what you are looking for but it's definitely a start.

Sep 1, 04 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

thanks for all the help, by the way, i have been put in charge of finding this keynote speaker for the aias south quad conference in november of this year.

i know this is extremely short notice for this type of keynote speaker. do you think that they would send a representative or a someone who has participated in the course.

Sep 1, 04 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

i don't think anyone can answer that question - you should invite them. if they are too busy, ask if they're willing to send a representative.

Sep 1, 04 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

The latest I've heard from Fr. Curry is that he's going to be in Hungary until at least the New Year. I'm not sure if he's coming back to Fordham after that; my impression is that they haven't been the most supportive of him. It's funny to hear an impression that he needs to loosen up; I can't imagine him being any looser (which is not to say that he is without conviction, but rather that he is laid back in manner).
I have an enormous amount of respect for the man, for his work, and his approach to the system.

Sep 1, 04 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
rtdc

the Van Allen institute (http://www.vanalen.org/) is a great organization that truly deals with the public realm.

Dan Rockhill's Studio 804, while producing interesting houses, makes no attempt to look beyond their site. Sure, they have a low-income host family for each project, but the focus is on design build. Little thought is given to the family who moves in.

Sep 1, 04 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: