Archinect
anchor

Riding the SLUT

insomniac
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=49229

I just felt like posting this.

Sep 20, 07 11:37 am
Living in Gin

Technically, it can't be called a trolley because it uses a pantograph instead of a trolley pole for its electrical pickup.

Pantograph:

Trolley pole:

Sep 20, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
mdler

LIG

what are you, a fucking park ranger?

Sep 20, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller
Sep 20, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

And what is the wire called that is contacted by the pantograph or the trolley pole ? And what is the drawing device, also called a pantograph ?

Sep 20, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

For a system that uses pantographs, the wire is called a cantenary. For a system that uses trolleys, the wire is called a trolley wire. (Cantenary wires are held at a constant tension, and are capable of powering trains at much higher speeds than trolley wires, even if the voltage is the same.)

I have no idea about the drawing device...

Sep 20, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
binary

DEEZ

Sep 21, 07 12:01 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Thank you. That's catenary, I think (also describing the curve made by a chain suspended from two points, similar to but different from an ellipse).

(Dad was a mechanical engineer and railfan, as you may be also ?)

A graphic pantograph is a device of levers and pivots which enables the reproduction of an image on an adjacent surface, either at 1:1 or at a different scale.

Sep 21, 07 12:09 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ride the snake... to the lake...

Sep 21, 07 1:28 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i'd ride it

Sep 24, 07 12:53 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst
Sep 24, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: