Archinect
anchor

survivorman

treekiller

i'm hooked till Lost resumes in january: survivorman. Anybody else enamored with his survival architecture, mcguyveresque fashioning fish hooks from soda cans, ability to start a fire anywhere, and the post-structuralist use of the camera/narrator/audience as an interactive character?

Laugier never had it so good!

Sep 18, 07 9:27 pm

I'm sorry but after watching Bear or Behr however he spells his name I can't watch survivorman - seems contrived in comparison sorry. For one there is no parachuting/jumping out of a helicopter in there so I feel he's a bit of whimp in comparison

Sep 18, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
rodgerT

I enjoy both shows. Man Vs. Wild is easier to watch and sounds better (due to film crew) but Survivorman has it's own charm. Both shows share many techniques but Survivorman puts more effort into his shelters.

Sep 19, 07 5:17 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm with Techno. Man Vs. Wild is much more entertaining. SurvivorMan just seems too textbook-y, and its much dryer. Although, I haven't caught any shelters being built on SurvivorMan, so maybe I will watch just for that.

From what I've heard, they have a different premise though, right? M/W is about being lost, and getting found, and SM is about surviving for 7 days? Is that correct?

Sep 19, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Hold on a minute - LOST isn't back until January?!? WTF?

Sep 19, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 
postal

didn't the Man vs. Wild get caught staying in hotels? not actually all night in the wilderness?

Sep 19, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yes yes i heard this too. Man vs Wild is good i agree, but i think Survivorman is more realistic. His commentary is more contrived, i think, because hes not an actor. Hes just a guy who does this stuff for a living and is trying to do a tv show. PLUS... hes out in the wilderness for 7 days... dang...

anyone see Grizzly Man? Survivorman reminds me a lot of Grizzly Man... except sans tortured closet-entombed pseudo-environmentalist.

Sep 19, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I like the autobiographical cinema verite efforts of survivorman. Haven't caught Man vs. Wild yet- I'll check it out.

oh, Lost is set to resume in february...

Sep 19, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I dont think the M/W guy is an actor, but maybe just has better people skills. They say in the opening credits that he's an ex-super-military-something-or-other...who really pays attention in the credits anyway?

Did anyone catch the 'Living with the Kombai' series that was on Nat. Geo.? It was pretty interesting.

Sep 19, 07 10:13 am  · 
 · 
ether

i don't have cable. =(

Sep 19, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well thats a let down.

Sep 19, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

The coolest thing about survivorman is he is a film-maker first, and does all his own filming out there. He really is out there on his own, and has to work pretty hard to get the shots he wants sometimes.
It allows me to forgive some of the cheesiness of his descriptions of danger.

Sep 19, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

We don't get these shows this side of the pond, but we do get Ray Mears

Ray Mears is brilliant

Sep 19, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
JordanS

M v W is much more entertaining. Bear is a badass. However you have to give credit to Survivor man for doing all the filming. And I did see the Grizzly Man documentary, it was a sad story. Poor guy was a nut. But he loved those bears!

Sep 19, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
jae

architechnophilia: news flash! bear is a fuckin fake!!!! his show is nothing more than a nine to five nature hike. he sleeps in a camper at night and eats hot pockets and drinks canada dry ginger ale and watches his favorite selections from the complete first season of alf. he was forced to go public with it a couple of months ago. the new season of his show will inform the veiwer of that in the opening sequence. if you'd still pick bear over les (who does EVERYTHING on his own) then i hope the next hot pocket YOU eat is full of les' poo. thats all i have to say to a man vs. wild fan.

we still keep it real though...me and you...thick as theives man...lets put this in our past.

jae

Sep 19, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

jae has me rolling here

I'm not sure if it be real/fake makes it any better or worse. But Survivorman is still shite...that you can't fake.

Sep 19, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

grizzly man was one of the most sublime movies i have ever seen.

the footage was amazing, werner's accent was the only thing that really annoyed me about the whole thing, and that's just cos i always think it's fake as it is soo effing thick.

Sep 20, 07 3:52 am  · 
 · 
rodgerT

Bear may be a fake but anyone who skins a rotted dear carcass with a 3" knife and his bear hands, drinks his own piss, drinks the liquid out of elephant shit, eats live raw fish and the occasional dead zebra is ok by me. Les is also cool..

Sep 20, 07 6:48 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

haven't seen the dead zebra, but there have been rotting fish, ants, live shrimp and crabs, sea weed, cacti, seal blubber, and blue berries to start.

Sep 20, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

holz.box

i agree grizzly man was really good. It was a difficult movie to watch though... hes such a tragic character. it makes you think... if people had seen this video while he was still alive perhaps some one could have helped him out a bit... he was obviously a very troubled man, and clearly detached himself from reality. The thing i found interesting was that he was clearly gay... either he didnt understand it or was unable to accept it... either way you can see it eat him alive.

Sep 20, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: