Archinect
anchor

Kenny Chesney music video at Mies' Farnsworth House

Catcow

Yesterday, while watching CMT, I saw Kenny Chesney's newest music video/single "Don't Blink," and it was set at the Farnsworth House, designed by Mies, where Kenny is wearing a black cowboy hat on the porch, while the "middle-aged man" is seated in the living room on a Barcelona chair.

I've also seen Jason Aldean's "Why" video set at a modernist house. I understand music videos being filmed with modern architecture... but country?

Sep 16, 07 10:39 am
drums please, Fab?

why? because the farnsworth house looks amazing

don't blink

Sep 16, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Catcow

And I totally agree... It's just seems that most of "traditional America", which is much of country music's audience, frowns upon modernist architecture, especially residential. I guess that I'm one of the few people that like Miesian architecture and newer country music...

Sep 16, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

wow maybe people who listen to shitty music will start commisioning architects to design their glass and steel houses.

Sep 16, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

Shitty music like this?

Sep 16, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

whatever, its a badass house and maybe, just maybe, some southern redneck may not find modernism repulsive after all.

Sep 16, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Apurimac - could you be more racist?

Sep 17, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

Sep 17, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

'cuse me evil I AM A REDNECK!

Born in AZ, raised partially in GA.

And you know what? I even think Larry The Cable guy is funny, after I've been through a few Buds.

Sep 17, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Oh - well theyre all a bunch of rednecks down in GA, carry on

Sep 17, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

j, i frankly prefer squirrel. I find it lighter on the palate than opossum. You goin' shooting tonight?

Sep 17, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

country music and modernism don't mix... I can't imagine any architect working in their studio cranking out a slick modern project while listening to "Way Down Yonder on the Chattahoochie..."

Sep 17, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

again, that idea is flawed, I'm a staunch modernist and I blast Johnny Cash in the studio.

Sep 17, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Cash is different - more rockabilly/bluesy than country... Old country is good though - George Jones, Cash, Willie, etc. And Cash wore a lot of black, so he's like an architect by default...

I just can't stand that new breed of country though...

Sep 17, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

agreed, it is made of fail. I thought you were lashing out at country in general though.

Sep 17, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

if i may, i think the point is that bad overproduced, uninspired, unoriginal, and marketable-only music with little truth and honesty put forward by the author/performer don't mix with modernist 'ideals', which is valid.

by the same logic listening to warrant, dokken, stryper, enuf znuf, britney fox, reo speedwagon, nickelback, etc. might not be the best choices to nourish modernist principles...

well, maybe not stryper.

Sep 17, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

hes a commie ^

Sep 17, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

^agreed

Sep 17, 07 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well stated, work for idle hands, and that raises the question, what's good "Modern" music?

Kraftwerk?

PS My mom was raised a pig farm and my dad on a dairy farm, both in North Carolina - so I quite comfortably call myself a redneck often. I take no offense.

Sep 17, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

if you hate country, then you need to chill out. it's relaxing and you should open your musical tastes up!

Sep 17, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

This man appreciates good architecture.

Sep 17, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

after watching the video, the story seem to say that the dude living in the farnsworth house came from country roots and has moved away from it: the frame switches back and forth from the modern imagery of the farnsworth house and the laptop to low res, like a vague memory, film scenes of childhood experiences in the country...

the lyrics is about the country 'ideals' of a slow paced life and the image of the farnsworth is the opposition...

and kenny chesney is singing from an outsider's point of view: the house is behind him...like a narrator.

Sep 17, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

you can't toss cash out there to defend country music, same goes for hank sr. they're legends. now if you say you design to alan jackson or some other such shit, then, i can respect that.

Sep 17, 07 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

sorry man, despite the redneck background, i don't like new country

Sep 17, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

hell, i'm sure corb was designing to "my son calls another man daddy."

Sep 17, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

anyways, it's still a great song. great message.

Sep 18, 07 1:53 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

lb -
kraftwerk? noooo way.

check out the raster-noton label aus DE. have some of the most pleasing, parsed packaging around

other good modern music (note this music is subtle and heavily layered, much like my view of the modern world):
loscil
murcof
the dead texan
vladislav delay

or for fall back, cage and glass.

country is disgusting.
especially that modern trash my neighbors are always blasting.

i wonder what chesney would think of if he could read twbta's "slowness"

Sep 18, 07 2:36 am  · 
 · 

jayhawks would sound great in the guggenheim lobby.

big sandy and body art work well together.

uncle tupelo would pair nicely w/ rural studio.

Sep 18, 07 7:34 am  · 
 · 
ARKTEK

funny, I almost started a thread about this topic when I stumbled on the video, but on closer consideration, I even wondered if it WAS Farnsworth or a mock-up built solely as a stage for the video.

Sep 20, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: