Archinect
anchor

new imac

Dan

Apple just released the new imac:

http://www.apple.com/imac/

I think the minimalist design is quite nice, though i'd like to see what it looks like in real life with 20 cords coming out of the back of it.

Will this be another hit for apple or a big flop?

Aug 31, 04 1:38 pm
edmund.l.liang

hit

Aug 31, 04 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

makes me drool, and now that they got the thickness issue sorted, give it a few months and we'll get g5 powerbooks. aaaaaah. get ready to sell a kidney.

sorry, i've been missing my mac user anonimous meetings lately.

Aug 31, 04 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

actuallt, doesnt it look like u'll have to place a brick at the base of the support to avoid the thing toppling over? i mean, i knew those samples lying around the office would come in handy, but wtf...iBrick!

Aug 31, 04 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

I wish you could detach it from the stand, and then use it like one of those tablet pcs.

drool

Aug 31, 04 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

does no one mind the really fat white base strip???

Aug 31, 04 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

yeah- that strip along the bottom better flip out to a coffee holder from all the late nights of overtime u need to pay for the damn thing.

its a big strip.

Aug 31, 04 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
zepplin100

"i'd like to see what it looks like in real life with 20 cords coming out of the back of it."

for the privileged few, it will operate with only one cord, besides the power, everything else is wireless. for everyone else, I think you should be able to run this with one or two other cords attached.

whether this will sell or flop like the Cube, I'll have to give the Apple design team another thumbs up

Aug 31, 04 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

niiiice.

Aug 31, 04 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
herbst

Really, it's not THAT good looking.

You'd think Steve Jobs pays you guys to hype his every trinket.

Aug 31, 04 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

who wouldnt want there trinket hyped?

Aug 31, 04 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
the righteous fist

plain ugly actually, ungainly and unstable

Aug 31, 04 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Brim

P.O.S.

Aug 31, 04 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

It's kind of disapointing after the great adjustability of the last iMac monitor. And I would wait for the G5 powerbook as bigness advised.

Aug 31, 04 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

. . . i think everybody should stick with the pencil. we'd become a smarter bunch don't you think? but then again, i like itunes and maya.

Aug 31, 04 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
zepplin100

I agree its not that spectacular looking in pictures but I'll save my final judgment until I see it in person. Apple's design team has yet to let me down.

high heat is pretty much the only major concern with the new IBM chip that Apple is using. If they managed to cram one into this thin iMac I'm sure a G5 powerbook is soon to follow. I think by january we will be hyping another new Apple gadget, again

Sep 1, 04 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Appleseed

The only thing that pisses me off about it is I just dropped a bunch of money on a PB/20" LCD combo. I couldn't wait until the iMacs were rereleased (everybody has been sold out of the last generation for 1.5 months) and now it's here and the spec's blow my PB out of the water....

Sep 1, 04 12:55 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

zepplin100, i heard that this month, sept - apple is going to introduce more than 24 new products. i don't know if they'll be software, hardware, or peripherals.

Sep 1, 04 1:07 am  · 
 · 
delicrafts

a good sign of G5 powerbook lol

Sep 1, 04 5:46 am  · 
 · 
db

I tend to love most things Apple does, but this is awful. Agree completely with FOG that the last iMac was not only more adjustable, but nicer looking too in that it didn't have that big ass white strip at the bottom of the monitor. And at 2" thick this is still a sizable chunk of monitor precariously (though I'm sure it's stable) perched above your desk.

I guess the good news is that the last gen iMacs will hit rock bottom prices. :)

(of course, I'm also still holding out for the G5 Powerbooks!)

Sep 1, 04 8:33 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

I'm sorry but I'm in an office full of pc users and pc lovers. I hate macs, but they are beautiful. I always wanted an imac v1.0 to use as a paper weight - but this by far making the most jealous why must you mac guys have all the fun. This is simply beautiful.

jam-arch wants an imac with a pc inside mr jobs can you help me out?

Sep 1, 04 8:54 am  · 
 · 
eeee

Good price too, for Apple that is, starting at $1299 it would never flop like the Cube just because of that. It's perfect for college dorms and it's pretty interesting how Apple is having it riding on the iPod wave too.

Sep 1, 04 10:25 am  · 
 · 
zepplin100

good price but bad timing considering that most students have already bought their computers for this year. I don't remember if the new iMac falls under educational pricing but it should soon, they usually like to wait a few weeks to milk all they can out of you. Jobs is really good with offering lower educational prices for students. If you are a student make sure you take advantage of that

Sep 1, 04 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
im

if only the whole thing were aluminum... yum.

Sep 2, 04 1:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: