Archinect
anchor

Is there a way to offset lines to create a "tubes" framework in Rhino?

ff33º

IN 3ds, there is a way to finagle a "shell" out of a the respective mesh edges ( or just the mesh)...that comes in handy when you want to say , show a structural frame mad of pipe. Rhino has no "shell" command.

My mesh is very complex and large, ...and all I want to do is turn it into an extruded framework, by offsetting each line to a make a "tube"

I bet the answer is ridiculously easy, but I know I am not the only with this problem ( hi qunqing :-)

Sep 12, 07 11:08 pm
guppy

If I understand what you're talking about correctly, you could "extractmeshedge" (command). Or you could convert the meshtoNurb (command) and then extractwireframe (command), and then pipe (command) to give thickness.

Sep 13, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
LameArc

are you using 4.0? if not, follow the steps above, but you need to pipe each one separately. or if you look hard, you can find a pipeall script online somewhere. it will save you tons of time.

Sep 13, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

thanks guppy!, that works pretty well...I am grateful to you help...gees why didn't I think of PIPE!..

p.s. does anyone recommend buying the plug ins :

meshcad

or

mesh to solid
from SYCODE...

I tried them out and they seemed really handy, yet do they actually do things you can;t 'figure out ' a work around for with Rhino.

Sep 13, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeah ,..i see that now Lame Arc...krimeney!,...I have 32000+ edges...seems like I am not the first to have this problem...Ill keep searching...pipeall scripts for rhino seems illusive.

Sep 13, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

reconstructivism.net .... there's a multipipe script somewhere...wouldn't use it on 32,000 lines at one time though.

Sep 13, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
qunqing

hi ff33, i have pipeall script if you need...:)
but what if the section profile of the frame is rectangular instead of round? i once imported them to autocad and gave all the lines a thickness, but couldn't apply width to them. it looked ok in the rendering.

Sep 13, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

qunqiung

I read about a rectangular " pipe all " today on a rhino forum, somewhere...I would try that reconstructivsm .com site now though.

As I mentioned before, in 3ds, you can convert to mesh and "shell" the lines making them triangular , rectangular , circular, etc........i prefer to stay Rhino though...so I;ll probably look for that script.....

Sep 14, 07 12:53 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

OffsetSrf

Sep 14, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: