Archinect
anchor

Sad news: Passing of Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop

liberty bell

I became choked up and tearful this morning upon reading that Anita Roddick had died last night. Only 64 years old.

One of many columns today espousing her good works is here.

Anita Roddick has long been an inspiration and virtual role model for me. She was easily the first example I knew of using green values to achieve success in business. I recall an anecdote of her helping a Southeast Asian community and hope I don't butcher the tale too much: their river had been clogged by a new reed due to development upstream that changed the water temperature. The Body Shop's team developed a way to harvest the reeds and taught locals to turn them into paper to be used for Body Shop bags.

She was ahead of her time in using environmental and ethical practices to create a brand. And remember her famous slogan: "If you think you're too small to make an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito under the sheets."

Sep 11, 07 10:44 am
TED

i was also saddened when it came on the news last night - they had a piece on newnight [equivalant to nightline] - greenpeace had some very nice things to say about her - on the radio today -- lots of tributes including the pm.

Sep 11, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 

R.I.P.

Sep 11, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I thought this was about my friends dad, who owns the Body Shop strip club in LA

Sep 11, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah, this is very sad. She was an inspiration.....I got to work on The Body Shop stores in my last job and I learned a lot about her through that. What a tremendous loss.

Sep 11, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Cue Bart Simpson/Moe crank call. ;)

Anywho, I don't know much about this lady, but it seems she's done some good things in her life, and we always need more people like that, not less.

Sep 11, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: