Archinect
anchor

Looking to network

RayyyH

Hi, my name is Ray and I'm trying to get a bit of information if possible.  I am an ironworker and have been for 12 years.  I have worked in shops welding and fabricating and worked my way into the field erecting structures such as buildings and bridges.  I've done many renovation, reinforcement type of work as well.  Most of all of the work I do is commercial in NYC and New Jersey. The past 6 years I've worked for the structural ironworkers union in NYC on many big and some small projects.  The past three companies I have worked for I have been a working foreman. I've recently taken a class offered by my union for people interested in starting a business and that is the direction I'm headed.  I'm trying to network with management on my jobs as well as reach out to architect/engineers.  I'd like to start working with other professionals to see how I can further my ambitions so that I can eventually learn the steps necessary to bid on work.  I'm hoping to see if anyone can possibly point me in the right direction.  I have all of the means and skills to complete jobs but being out in the field everyday does not give me much exposure to the people who would be interested and willing to talk business.  Thank you very much.  -Ray

Dec 26, 12 2:06 pm
s=r*(theta)

@RayyyH

With my 5months experience working for a 1st generation Steel construction company started by a guy with your similar background, here is my 2cents:

1) You primarily will have a desk job now so, work on your vocabulary, communication, sensitivity to diversity, technology skill set (know more about computers than just sending and receiving emails or surfing the internet) learn the basics of word processing and spread sheets, familiarize yourself with office culture and policies.(you are not in the field any more, so you just cant piss in a corner or blow snot into the trash can)

2)As far as bidding, your primary network should be general contractors, your local builders exchange, and maybe the exchange of neighboring states. You should have names, phne #'s and email of these guys and their project list. that way you know what to bid on.

3). Secondary network should be subs, especially ele. & Mech. if you were a fabricator, you should knw these guys always need misc. metal. also they can recomend you to other g.c.'s that they are in good with or working on projects. that dont make it onto the exchange.

4). im not sure how well you know how to read blueprints or plans but if you only have experience with shop drawings you are going to need to know how to read arch. plans, and the spec. book under your 5500

4) your contact w/ architects is minimal, only to call them to understand what the hell detail 10/A.4 is really about and why is serrated nosing in the spec. but not in the drawings. engineers on the other hand primarily structural will be a good contact. you will need them to sign off on certian structural design you may have to do

p.s.

you may also want to network with other steel constructuion co., fabricator's, and suppliers. sometimes we get work because they have to much and cant take on another project so they shoot it our way and vice versa.

Dec 26, 12 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: