Archinect
anchor

Laptop for an architecture student - Dell XPS 15

tjdlghkd

Hello,

I'm starting my first year in bachelors of architectural studies next year and I'm planning to buy a laptop to assist with my study.

I came across Dell XPS 15 and it looked like a pretty good buy,(My knowledge of computers is very shallow by the way) I would like to know whether its spec will be good enough to run  rendering programs like Archicad, photoshop, indesign etc

Intel Core i7 2670qm 2,2GHz

1GB Graphics Memory

nVidia GT525M 1GB Discrete

750 GB HDD   

6GB Ram

15inch Screen

Thank you in advance!

Dec 23, 12 8:30 pm
tjdlghkd

Or how about a Dell Inspiron 15.6' notebook that has:

Intel Core i7 3612qm Quad 2.1GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7670M DDR3 1GB

1TB HDD

8GB RAM

Dec 23, 12 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Jono Lee
Get a Mac with AppleCare... As much as I hate apple sometimes, it's best to be certain that your comp will be fixed within a day at any of their stores. Plus, all design software will run flawlessly*
Dec 23, 12 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
thakopian

I have an xps with more power than what you describe which I bought a year ago. It has a great 1080p display and worked great for senior year projects. I was using all of the software at once sometimes and it ran fine. Inspiron might be alright but make sure it's display and build quality will stand up to daily use.

I don't know about apple, expensive and you have to use windows for a lot of software anyway. Don't feel like I am missing out.

Dec 24, 12 12:02 am  · 
 · 
tinson49

Mac Retina 15" Although twice as ur Dell
Xps, but it is the best choice.
One thing u must know is to use Bootcamp to install windows 7.
But sketchup and rhino has Mac version, it doesn't too bad for not installing windows.

Dec 24, 12 5:06 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

that should be fine tjdlghkd.  don't get a mac to run windows, that's just not right.  macs run the operating system they were designed for, tested, and QCed to run, which isn't windows.  design software isn't going to work better on a mac, especially if the mac is running windows.  if you want the better warranty a mac has, get the better warranty from dell.  bigger screens are better if you can afford to go that route, but my phone can push 1080p so that's not much of a question either way.

Dec 24, 12 9:15 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Anyone who says, "get a mac because software runs better on it" has no idea what they're talking about. The notion of paying more for less performance and a joke of a warranty (apple care) is absolutely ridiculous. The tech in your laptop will be out-of-date in a year and obsolete before you graduate. 

With Dells warranty you can vomit on your laptop, throw it out of a moving car, take a tablesaw to it, or any other absurd stunt and you're fully covered. With applecare, if you live in a humid climate your moisture sensors can become activated, thus voiding the warranty that you shelled out $300+ for. RIP Steve Jobs, RIP giving a shit about their customers. Oh and I'm pretty sure the RAM in new MBP is soldered so you can't even replace it on your own. 

Dec 24, 12 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
tjdlghkd

Thank you for your advices, in the end, I bought the Dell Inspiron

Dec 26, 12 2:36 am  · 
 · 
i r giv up

you messed up massively.

dell is trying to cater to the apple crowd by raising prices and delivering shinier, shittier pcs.

i'd cancel the order right now and look into a vaio s 15.

it's a hell of a blip on the price to performance chart.

Dec 26, 12 7:24 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i suspect sony has been focusing a bit too much on cutting corners in the last couple years.  i think asus or lenovo might be better for quality of components. 

on the other hand, a laptop is really not a long term investment.  it's going to need to be replaced in a few years anyway.  the dell is fine.  tj will get a lot of enjoyment and heartbreak out of his dell before it dies.

Dec 26, 12 7:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: