Archinect
anchor

which city to visit?

usernametaken

I am planning my summer holidays at the moment (I am from Europe, btw). I am planning on visiting eastern USA for about two and a half weeks in the middle of May. Pretty much the itenery is figured out, except for one thing: upon arriving, there will be stopover for two or three days. Four cities the choose from: Chicago, Boston, Toronto or Miami. Which of those cities would you suggest for a short (max. 3 days) visit? It's not necessarily just about "amount of good architecture to see), but more like the general "nice city to visit, big enough for three days, but not so big that it's impossible to travel around town"-quality. Any suggestions?

Dec 22, 12 4:51 pm
Sergo Antadze

I have not been in Toronto or Miami, but between Chicago and Boston, I would suggest Chicago.

Dec 22, 12 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
sam goods

Have been to all of them, would choose (based on your criteria): Chicago, then Boston, then Toronto, then Miami 

Dec 22, 12 9:13 pm  · 
 · 

Every architect or student of architecture should see Chicago. If not the most, it is one of the most significant cities on earth to survey modern architecture and its development.

Dec 22, 12 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

I live near Miami it has nice architecture to view but I personally would go to Chicago, the father city of modernism

Dec 22, 12 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

As a new resident, I will also vouch for Chicago. It is like seeing and walking among your Modern Architecture textbook every day. I even have the last standing church designed by Sullivan five blocks away from my house. 

Dec 22, 12 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

So I've booked my flight: arriving in Chicago, spending a couple of days there, after that flying south into North Carolina, and from there on traveling through DC onwards to New York. In some months I will start bothering you with questions for travel tips (places to visit, nice bars/restaurants, cool hangouts, where to sleep etcetera), but thanks for the initial help in selecting a city!

Jan 3, 13 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: