Archinect
anchor

New iPod...Sept. 5th?

Let's guess what Apple will be announcing regarding the iPod on September 5th...

Get your wallets out. Time to fork over another $300!

Sep 2, 07 8:44 pm
WonderK

Between this and OS X Leopard coming out in a month, I can't handle all of the excitement.....

Sep 2, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

I've seen photos on an ID website of a wide-screen Nano. It has the same size screen as the other Ipods, still slim, but only about 3/8" of plastic on each side of the screen instead of being double the size of the screen as it currently is. They claimed it will be offered in 8G and 16G versions.

Disclaimer: of course, the people presenting such information would be skilled enough in photoshop that it could have been entirely false. So who knows, eh?

Sep 2, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Rationalist, before the iPhone came out, there was a similar sensation about a touch screen nano that you could turn sideways to watch movies...obviously came to pass but with added features.

Sep 2, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
n_
Apple expected to polish iPod line.

This is a more no-nonsense article stating that the big release will be on Wednesday.

Sep 2, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i dont even have an old ipod.

Sep 3, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

So, I guess we are all expected to expect a video iPod like rationalist is describing.

They've recently retooled the look of the iMac (aluminum and black) from the "older" look (white with thick layer of clear plastic over it). The first generation nano and the video iPod have the white and clear plastic look, is it a good bet the look of whatever we see on Wednesday will be along the lines of the 2nd generation nano/new iMac?

Sep 3, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

f u , ipod >:-(

Sep 3, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

i only rock the dual cassette

Sep 3, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

the biggest update will be the interface. it will now be a version of mac os x.
whether or not the main ipod will be iphone-esque, i dont know. i hope so, but i kind of doubt it

Sep 3, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

my father-in-law handed down his old ipod to us when he got a new one about 6mos ago. i haven't attempted to make it work yet.

Sep 3, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

nice boom box, but mine is bigger:

and this one docks an ipod:

Sep 3, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

doesn't get any more ghetto then that... is that a guy or a girl?

but the more generational defining use would be:
g]

Sep 3, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Isn't the trendy thing to NOT do what the mainstream does? That's why I roll with an old Sandisk MP3. Too bad my Discman died. That think rocked and had 3 seconds of ESP. Sweeet!

Sep 3, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

well, after who knows how many years of being an obsessive music nut and not ever once owning an ipod (my history involves a rio karma) in a few days that will probably change. They fixed the gapless issue, and all the reasonable competitor >30GB players these days just suck. I guess I'll have to figure out how to put music on it without using itunes.

so :beer; to dropping $400 on my new 160GB ipod touch with wireless connectivity - to the end of an era.

...and the new hobbit nanos really are pretty ugly

Sep 3, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Boomboxes were sooo rad!

I just got my second Shuffle...one of the new clip-on ditties. Really is pretty rad. $75 and a little randomness never went so far.

Sep 3, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

so much for sustainability...as they release a new phone, music device, whatever every month and people just got to have it.

Sep 3, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Wow, vado. Thanks for bringing us back to earth with that non-judgmental blanket statement!

Sep 3, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

anytime consumersimos!

Sep 3, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

dang,..i got served on the ghetto blaster competition

Sep 4, 07 12:37 am  · 
 · 
4arch

sales of "D" batteries plummeted when boomboxes went out of style.

Sep 4, 07 8:02 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

...The only thing that needs D batteries these days are the mag-lite batons police use to needlessly beat the crap out of the children of the former boom box wielders...

Sep 4, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 

i don't see anything incorrect or prejudicial about vado's comment. why do you take issue with it, liebchen?

Sep 4, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

funny thing is liebchen,
cops aren't allowed to carry those mag-lites anymore for that reason. they are allowed to carry small ones though. (at least here in MD)

Sep 4, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

this is sweet. My parents bought me mine from Cotsco and it came with a lifetime warranty. I think I'll be dropping mine in a puddle tonight.

Sep 4, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Planned obsolescence! Hooray!

My phone's battery is giving out and lasts no more than a day and half now. I love the smell of commerce in the morning... smells like... victory.

Sep 4, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Steven, I read vado's comment as a dig against being excited about a new product for its ingenuity, design, what have you...

Certainly, vado is correct that if one were to buy a new iPod everytime the line was improved (I'm sure people do) it wouldn't be very "sustainable." Further, I doubt the production of iPods (or cars, or houses, or computers) is terribly "sustainable."

Sep 4, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I award ACFA infinite points. Reason: mallrats reference

Sep 4, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

which in turn is a reference to robert duvall's line in apocalypse now...!!!!

liebchen-
the constant updating of products is part of the whole planned obsolescence idea. rather than introducing some kind of upgrade to the existing product, you're forced to buy an entirely new product. as a result, it's not sustainable. the demand is created by the product, not necessarily by consumer needs. it's no coincidence that the batteries in phones and ipods degrade/die a little after a year. the warranty is up and since there's a new product out, consumers go out and buy the new tossing out the old. hence the lack of sustainability inherent within a lot of these new gizmo's that we all love.

Sep 4, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Got it.

Sep 4, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

That's interesting, the demand is created by the product, not necessarily by consumer needs. I hadn't thought about that.

Despite its lack of sustainablity, can we imagine the ipod would have exploded as it did without planned obsolesce? I would guess no. The lack of serviceable parts reduces the cost and size of the iPod, which could increase the pressure on the product's designers to create a 2G product that is faster, smaller, and cheaper than the first. In the case of the iPod, this necessitates the invention of smaller and more efficient memory, processors, and batteries. These improvements are not limited to the iPod, but impact the whole of the computer industry: smaller and more energy efficient computers, screens, whatever.

Its easy to say "boo..not sustainable!" but are there benefits that go unmentioned because they are products of the notion of planned obsolesce?

Sep 4, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

For the record, I've had my fourth-generation iPod for over 2.5 years now, and it still works like new. And Apple has a battery-replacement program for a nominal fee.

I may or may not get a new iPod in the near future, as my music collection has outgrown the 20 GB capacity of my current iPod. I'd probably be perfectly happy with a soon-to-be-outdated fifth generation model -- I hope they drop drastically in price with the (presumably) next generation being rolled out.

Sep 4, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

I'm sitting here charging up my 1st generation ipod that I got back in 2002. I sent away for a new battery about two years ago and replaced it myself. Works perfectly.

It has a selector wheel that actually spins!

Sep 4, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

ipod touch... has wifi and 3.5" widescreen touch screen. 8mm thick (thin?). operates safari, youtube, google and yahoo searches...

can d/l music directly. comes in at $299 for 8gb $399 for 16gb.

Sep 5, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

+ a fatty nano and a price reduction in the iPhone.

Sep 5, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm not sure about the obsolence of the ipod. i've got two of them and the first is nearly five years old and still works fine. granted it still has the original battery and only last about two hours with a full charge but i usually just leave plugged in and hooked up to some speakers at home. second ipod is over a year old and still feels like new. i use it primarily for running with the ipod+nike combo.

Sep 5, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

ipod touch is only 16GB? get real, jackass. I wanted a 160 GB ipod touch, I've lived without a music player for 1.5 years waiting for a high capacity full screen player with wifi...they've delayed and delayed, played around with this iphone shit....and now this crap?

fuck you and your starbucks pansy ass idiocy, jobs. you don't get my money now.

Sep 5, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Have you noticed the new colors for the nanos and shuffles?

Old:

New:

I wonder what informs the designers who choose these colors...they have less chroma than the previous incarnation. Are they trying to be more adult with the color choices? Or does is this pallet more in line with what trendy colors are now?

Sep 5, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

so all.

if you were going to buy your first ipod would you buy the 'touch'
or the 80 or 160gb ipod 'classic'?

Sep 5, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Well, I was going to buy my first ipod...but now that the touch is a piddly 16 GB... I'm probably not going to buy either.

It did occur to me though, that with discounts I could get a cheaper 8GB iphone and an 160 GB ipod classic for not much more than the iphone used to cost.

Sep 5, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

no shit...16G ipod??

wtf?

Sep 5, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Everytime I'm ready to lay down the cash for my first "full" IPOD, they roll out a new one and I'm back on the fence knowing that a bigger and better one is one the way, so I keep waiting.

This time, I'm going for the classic for 160 gb, which I'm sure I'll never fill up and if I do, I'll promptly lose or destroy it. Don't like the touch screen, really annoys me and I hate fingerprints on nice clean surfaces.

Sep 5, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

the only thing i like about the itouch is the wifi aspect..
but the amount of memory makes it almost irrelevant already.
talk about planned obsolesence.

Sep 5, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

manamana, you want an 160 gb ipod touch ? do you know how thick that would make the device? theyve packed so much into such a small profile. and its a flash drive, which is considerably more expensive. so you want a much higher capacity flash drive in it, it would be outrageously expensive, closer to 600-700 dollars.

here's your sign... have you used the iphone? the touch screen is amazingly sophisticated and easy to use. and the fingerprints are not noticeable when its on, and can be cleaned off with the wipe of your shirt....

Sep 5, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

and here's your sign..i'm thinkin your way as well...it'll be nice
to be able to carry all my music, movies and photos in one place.

Sep 5, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Fuck... I just bought an iPhone less than a week ago, and now it's $100 cheaper. I'll be paying a visit to the Apple Store after work this evening.

Sep 5, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

but beefeaters..what could is the flash drive if you can only store
half or less of your music?

Sep 5, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I'm sure it's wonderfully sophisticated but it still feels too delicate. I'm really hard on phones. My razr is already pissing me off.

Sep 5, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

well it can hold up to 3500 songs... how many songs in your 10000 song collection do you listen to? i never listen to that many and its easier to change what songs you have on it. its really not a big deal for me for the music...
as far as video, thats a different story. its not enough to hold movies, tv shows, etc. which is kind of disappointing... but the wifi internet access is the selling point for me.

Sep 5, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

See LIG, that's why I haven't bought one yet! I just know it's gonna be cheaper yet better amenities as soon as I buy it.

Sep 5, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

lig..weren't they 599 before?
they're now 399 and the 4gb is no longer...

Sep 5, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: