Archinect
anchor

yearly reviews and salary increase requests

crow202

I'm preparing for my first performance review and am hoping to get some feedback as to a typical raise requests for my current position, experience, and regional market.

I'll say up front that, like many of us, am well aware of the state of the economy and the profession, so I'm not asking to rehash that discussion. I'm more interested in salary expectations for new architects who entered the profession in the middle of the recession.

My background: I've been working in Washington DC with a master's degree for 3.5 years continuously at a few small offices. I have changed jobs by choice a few times and subsequently increased my salary. Since these were smaller firms, and since I did not have relatively long tenures at them, I never had an official performance review. I've been with my current firm for almost a year and a half, and have made some credible progress in my development - I've received considerably more responsibilities in CA, have begun testing and passed some AREs, and am involved in some industry-related organizations in the community.

My simple question - assuming that my review is satisfactory to more-than-satisfactory, what might be a reasonable raise in salary request?

I've been very fortunate to have remained employed over the past three years, but I still feel as though I have some catching up to do salary-wise since coming out of school in 2008 and essentially entering the market at an under-valued rate.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Dec 18, 12 12:45 am
lynettesalas
First off, don't mention reasons why you shouldn't receive a raise ( like the economy). Let them bring that up, say you understand, but ... (Reasons why you should get a raise).

Second, do an inventory of the new roles and responsibilities you have acquired since joining the firm and other areas you need to improve on and would like to/ need to become responsible for. Have you had any interactions with clients that are memorable? Have you saved them money? This keeps you honest about your strengths and weaknesses and what you have contributed to the firm. Also, some firms may focus on your weaknesses in a review because they may not want you to feel entitled to receive a raise.

You said you have passed a few AREs...how many do you have left and when do you anticipate becoming licensed? If you think it will be more than 6 months, do not bring up the fact that you passed a few AREs yet. It is likely that you will get a raise once you become licensed, so save recounting those accomplishments for another time.

Look around at the office. Are there a lot of new projects? Are there more people working in the office than when you started? Are there any office improvements, such as a remodel or upgraded technology? Look at how the firm is spending money for signs that the firm is doing well. If they bring up the whole economy thing you can bring up these facts in response.

Think about if they have hesitated giving you any new responsibilities. Have they challenged you? If so that means they feel comfortable giving you more responsibilities and you should mention that! It means they trust you! Do you have a mentor in the office, or a superior that you have worked closely with? Ask them to give you an informal review before hand or ask them about your strengths. This will open your eyes to qualities about yourself that you never considered.

Beforehand, calculate what a raise would look like at 3%, 5%, 7%, and 10%. Also calculated what your average pay increase was everytime you changed firms in dollar amount and percentage. Use that as somewhat of a baseline. I think 5% is average, but depending on the conversation you can request higher or lower. You can also negotiate other benefits, such as healthcare, gym memberships, or time off, depending on what you already have. Are they paying for your AREs if you pass them? LEED exam? These could be benefits that you can negotiate in too, especially if they are low-balling you.

Good luck!
Dec 18, 12 8:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: