Archinect
anchor

What to see in Barcelona & Rotterdam? Your Favorites??

horus

I will be visiting Barcelona & Rotterdam next month and was wondering if someone could suggest some must see architecture of interest. This will be my first time to Spain and the Netherlands.

Thanks for any suggestions

Aug 30, 04 2:14 pm

Barcelona:
Park Guell/
Nouvel's Agbar Tower
the roof garden of "la Pedera"
the Palace grounds around the Barcelona Pavilion

Aug 30, 04 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
Bar

... ce ... lo ... na

Aug 30, 04 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

there is no garden at the roof of la Pedrera though, maybe a 'ceramic garden'...

Aug 30, 04 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
bussa

you should check out the Ramblas.

Aug 30, 04 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
bussa

you also dont want to miss the La Sagrada Familia. Make sure to stop by the museum below the chapel to see the inverted sandbag model of Gaudi's vision

Aug 30, 04 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
elena

nobody have been in rotterdam?
well, i've been there in december, the europort is the best place to visit with the bridge and renzo piano building , it would be better by nifght from a kind of roof...
then there are ( i don't remember a single name they were too wierd!) strange new bulding more or less a conglomeration of cube...you can enter a flat for a few euros.
if you like them there are the windmills a little far from there 1 hour to go by coach and well they are very nice and famous but it could become a incredible lost of time if you don't know coach schedule!!
from rotterdam you can go to den haag the capital city it takes 20 min by train nice city and nice castle
if you have a whole day free i suggest you to go in belgium as well...brugge is wonderful is a precious place...don't miss it! bruxelles as well need a visit and of course amsterdam but from my stand point a day is more than what you need to visit... take a boat and do a sightseen.
from rotterdam as well you can see the breakwater but again it takes a lot of time maybe a day ...i wasn't there enjoy the city ...the most famous disco pub there is "skiutt" ( again i don't know the spelling) it's a place definitely for nederlanders nice to see... have fun!

Aug 31, 04 6:38 am  · 
 · 
elena

i was forgetting...if you go to belgium eat chocolate is the best in the world!!!

Aug 31, 04 6:40 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Hmmm.. I wouldn't go for the Kubushouses and windmills if I only had one day in Rotterdam.

Instead: Kunsthal, Café Dudok, NAi, Luxortheater, Hotel New York, Van Nelle (in Schiedam), Erasmusbrug, Boymans van Beuningen, Witte de With-straat, Schouwburgplein, Blaak, Kop van Zuid etc.

In Barcelona: The Olivetti office building by BBPR, Coderchs Barceloneta building, Viaplana/Pinons Museum of Contemporary Culture, The Tapiès Foundation, Bofill's Walden 7 (yes it's really worth a visit)...

Aug 31, 04 7:57 am  · 
 · 
Mason White

Rotterdam:
Go to Cafe Dudok and sit there for an hour watching people, then rent a bike and wander the city. dont worry ... architecture comes to you, you dont need to go to it. but do make sure to take Un studio's bridge (on your bike, of course).

Aug 31, 04 9:00 am  · 
 · 

Don't miss Gaudi's early work, Palau Guell, the inner-city mega-mansion of the Guell folks. Don't miss the Barcelona Pavilion either.

Aug 31, 04 10:32 am  · 
 · 
horus

Wow!!! Thanks for all of your input.

When I return, perhaps I will have a photo or 2 to share.

Sep 1, 04 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
im

in barcelona, do not miss the igualada cemetery by enric miralles and carme pinos. take the train out to igualada (last stop, i forget which train exactly but travel time is 1.5 hours). your spanish will come in handly to non-english speaking locals, but you should be able to grab a cab at the igualada station to take you there. tell them you are looking for the new (not old) cemetery.

i speak no spanish and for a while was sure i wasn't going to make it back to barcelona for the night but believe me, it was worth it.

Sep 1, 04 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

Rotterdam
make sure you visit the Villa Sonneveld. it is right by the NAi. you should be able to take a tour of the house. it is modernism as best as it gets.
also between the luxor theatre and new york hotel is the World POrt center by Foster, "the green parasite" on top of an old factory, and Koolhaas has an apartment building under construction.
but Koolhaas' kunsthal is the finest building in Rotterdam

Sep 2, 04 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
dragthelake

definitely stay on las ramblas in one of the many hostels. there is a meier museum along there, as well as a really well-designed picasso museum just off one of the side streets to the left as you head towards the water.
at night, Pub Crawl meets at hostel kabul....oh the memories....

Sep 2, 04 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

Rotterdam, go first to the NaI and buy an architecture guide of the city...that way u can see ur own favourites,...not our favourites (dont worry all the starchitects, and the not so much r in the guide)

Sep 3, 04 1:36 am  · 
 · 
Medit

In Barcelona, try to see the Trade towers by Coderch, another jewel from the 60's, it's at the beggining of La Diagonal, near the university campus... (where there's the Barcelona arch school, also from Coderch)
Paricio & Clotet restoration of El Convent dels Angels is worth a visit too... also check out their Dipòsit de les Aigües too, an old building converted to a library for the UPF university, it has a flooded roof, this one is next to the Ciutadella park (the zoo)...

Sep 3, 04 5:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: