Archinect
anchor

olympic stadiums in Greece

edmund.l.liang

12.1 billion dollars for two weeks of sports? now what? is architecture really that disposable? especially if calatrava was involved. are these facilities going to be the other greek ruins?

Aug 30, 04 11:01 am
Fourth Floor West

my favorite example is the olympic stadium in montreal. no wonder the expos suck.

Aug 30, 04 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

its so funny when some people here can criticize everything...
the only way for the world to be a better place then can be value-engineered crap right
i am not a big fan of calatrave, but will you guys please letme know how many of you are into low-cost housing for the poor?? or at least into ecologically sustainable stuff???
now im criticizing the criticism ofyou guys

why does this discussion not emerge for every big piece of architecture except housing, then???

Aug 30, 04 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

one of the reasons why i'm interested is because i live in Detroit. I see places built and places abandoned - and then there's gentrification. i think it's an important issue. look at all the vacant spaces left behind, tiger stadium, usta tennis assoc. in flushing NY, empty buildings especially in Detroit, montreal's stadium, and a lot more i'm sure. if we're not critical about these issues who will be?

to ignore the conditions under which architecture is practised is to fail to understand the full social importance of architecture.

Aug 30, 04 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

dozer, sometimes we have to understad that we do not have control over all social and cultural issues. suppose they did not spend 12.1 billion $ on the stadium using calatrava, they would have spend at least say 11 with other architects, and again we would be left with empty stadiums at the end of it,right. so do you say we do away with the olympics altogether to alleviate such problems???
all in all, it is a quesiton beyond the reach of architects and yes, we can think and ponder about it, but have to realize we can do jackshit about the whole overarching issue

Aug 30, 04 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
fiver

maybe matthew barney could use those stadiums for more cremaster s

Aug 30, 04 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

Is it impossible to think that the designs for future olympic stadiums, or any stadiums for that matter, could and should consider their uses after the olympic games? is that a real stretch to at least encourage designers to think about that? perhaps a designer one day may change the way governments look at stadiums altogether in the future... lets say building that olympic stadium is also going to displace 150,000 homeless people in order to be built, is it foolish to stretch the imagination and perhaps figure a design that might address those people after the olympics are finished (or even during in some way), so the grand stadium doesnt sit there a pretty useless object afterwards, in place of a huge number of homeless people? wow, if these are stretches for the arch industry, I think there's trouble doctor. having control over social issues may only be a case of not daring to take control, or proposing designs which will pre-empt new ways of looking at such projects, which then influence those who have control. your practicality is too complaisant for me, even if i am venturing into slightly unrealistic terms.

Aug 30, 04 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Games cost 502 Million DM. in 1972
http://www.olympiapark-muenchen.de/index.html
grand daddy of post modern olympic architecture. still the one. check out the recent calendar of events. frei otto got it right.

Aug 30, 04 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

"sprocket's" featuring Dieter will be dancing in the main stadium next month at olympia park! "SPROCKETS! LETS DANCE!"

Aug 31, 04 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki
edmund.l.liang

interesting article. I'm curious to learn how the olympic committee selects cities to host. well, i think most anyone can answer that question. is it money?

Sep 2, 04 12:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: