Archinect
anchor

ever thought about the Peace Corp

arch_4_what?

So, I'm now twenty five have spent three years in poorly paying internships doing work that was completely uninspiring, one of which was for a developer creating 'stags leap way' and 'hickory farms' subdivisions (please don't judge I work in the state with the worst economy and highest unemployment rate). I'm currently working on an MArch with a concentration in Urban Design. I've been looking into firms around the country and while I was searching came across the Peace Corp website. I'm seriously considering doing a two year stint after I finish my masters next spring. My worry is that when I get of the Peace Corp I'll be too far out of the loop (computer programs, urban theory, urban projects) to get a a good job after I'm done. I feel like I owe the professional community (and myself) alot after that year with the developer. What do you guys think? Would you do it?
(PS I wouldn't be teaching English in a third world elementary school, they actually have an architecture and urban planning group within the Peace Corp)

Aug 23, 07 1:51 pm
eastcoastarch03
Aug 23, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

seriously though. i'd do it if i were you.

Aug 23, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I hired a new employee a few years back after she had spent a stint in Africa designing and building schools/ churches and basic commercial facilities. she had worked in Seattle for several years and had some good basic skills but thrown into the fire in Africa and had to do everything including survive life in a remote foreign country. Huge experience that no job will ever give you. I thought anybody who would do that could deal with any thing I threw at her. Was a great pleasure to have her work for us.

I would think that most employers would see that experience as unique and useful particularly for a small to mid sized office where you have to do a lot of different things and don't get stuck in doing just one project / task all the time.

Aug 23, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i just heard from a coworker that the peace corps is hard to get into anyways. they don't just take anyone.

so the question should be
can i get into the peace corps?(if i would like to)

Aug 23, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

you'd probably be more employable after a stint in the peace core, as long as you remeber you ACAD commands.

Aug 23, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
arch_4_what?

I didn't mean to discount the Peace Corp as being a 'gimme' alternate. The Peace Corp is difficult to get into. However, from the research that I have done, candidates with a techinal degree are highly desirable. Especially those with urban planning and architecture backgrounds (they don't get many applicants from these fields). But yes, would you do it, if you could get in? (smile)

Aug 23, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
heavymetalarchitecture

I wanted to join after my BA but got into grad school so decided not to but after my masters I think it still sounds good. You have to think to how much you can offer right out of school, you might be more useful to them after you masters and work experience so...do it.

Aug 26, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

the United Nations also has an international volunteer program - and they actually pay for some things. they are very interested in designers and people who know how to build things.

Aug 26, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
joe

I went to a regional interest meeting and watched the video, etc... then I got the card for the recruiter that did the seminar and later emailed him some fairly specific questions about how peace corps could work for me. and what I got in response was dismal. he didnt really answer any of my questions about what I could do with an architecture degree and experience to help people. he basically said I would probably be sent into something I didnt want to and I would most likely be in africa. after leaving my first job recently I was really looking for options and would have fully commited had he been there for me and made an effort to understand my situation, etc.

I think it would be a great thing to do, but I had a shitty recruiter and then later realized all my private student loans couldnt really be deferred for two years. so that in itself was a huge setback.

I'd say go for it. all in all I think it would be a really really rewarding experience.

also, what he did say was that the areas for people with our experience is very limited. he said the only thing he has sent people like us to do was in urban planning (which is ok) but not specifically what I would want to do if I joined.

Aug 27, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

While i don't have a degree in Architecture or Urban Planning (although i am thinking of getting one), i do have a M.A.
I applied to the Peace Corps was accepted....Although i wasn't able to accept the position because of my personal financial situation..
I am still thinking about applying again in a year or two once i am debt free.

My impression from the interviewing/vetting process is that if you have a graduate degree and any professional experience (mine was in teaching) your chance of getting in...
I know i had some friends who did it,
Africa and Fiji respectively.
They loved it and had a fairly easy time getting in as welll.
I would highly recommened it,.,.
I think the experience of being self-managed and living ina foreign country would only make you a more seriable candidate for a job....

Thats what Whistler seemed to be saying in his/her above post....

Aug 28, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I think your biggest aspect becomes a terrific problem solving skill set that every contractor would admire..."making a silk purse from a sow's ear"

Aug 29, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: