anchor

Cradle to Cradle design

Antisthenes

The next Industrial Revolution?
http://www.mbdc.com/c2c_nir.htm

discuss...

Aug 17, 07 1:37 am
holz.box

is it just me, or does "the next revolution" seem more like a nostalgia for a pre-mechanical way of life?

also, it'll be interesting to see how the next stages of industry play out as america outsources the remaining manuf. jobs.

should the burden be on china, india et al. to make things the "c2c" way, or the consumer to demand it?

Aug 17, 07 3:05 am  · 
 · 

cradle to cradle is a collection of brilliant thoughts from two very committed and creative people. it can't exactly be a revolution because the efforts required in order to realize the c2c vision involve technical, chemical, and manufacturing resources that 'everyman' doesn't possess. there's very little grassroots activity that can lead toward a c2c vision - part of my frustration in reading the book. when i reviewed this book on this site, i wrote:

McDonough and Braungart have made an excellent analysis of where we are and a perfectly crafted argument for what they are doing. It leaves the eager reader, however, feeling a little overwhelmed and helpless.

This is the kind of book that makes such a convincing argument about the challenges we face and the ways we might (collectively) address them, that it makes you want to get busy...and then ends up leaving you frustrated because it's so difficult to see what one person can do. The only solution I've found is to recommend the book to as many people as possible, especially clients. The message of this book really depends on as many people as possible hearing it.

I'll just keep making small efforts to incorporate efficient and smart strategies in my design work and wait for the economy of truly 'sustainable' products that McDonough and Braungart herald to come about.

Posted by: Steven Ward on Nov 14, 04 | 3:23 pm

...and that's still how i feel about it, i guess.

Aug 17, 07 7:18 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

you don't need to wait for new products to understand and implement as much of a closed loop design as you can...talk with contractors, etc and educate yourself in their needs / issues in such matters...there is definitely plenty that could be done now and I find it lazy to say the products are not here yet so we as designers must just wait.

Aug 17, 07 8:23 am  · 
 · 

who said anything about sitting still while waiting?

Aug 17, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

there are industrial ecologies emerging in local and regional settings that are the application of an older concept of cradle to cradle. these synergies (waste heat from a refinery warms an office, paper scraps become mulch, scrap plastic becomes carpet, scrap carpet is burned to heat the refinery, et cetera) are driven by industry, not the consumer cause they get more $$$ or save $$$ for doing it.

as consumers, we can seek out those few products that get the C2C certification and as architects write the specs with these materials/products.

Aug 17, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

"that it makes you want to get busy...and then ends up leaving you frustrated because it's so difficult to see what one person can do. The only solution I've found is to recommend the book to as many people as possible, especially clients."

I think the general tone of your analysis is quite myopic. Your small caveat at the end of 'small efforts' doesn't really have any gumption of action. I believe one can do more as a person and as an architect / designer.

Aug 17, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra
http://www.openarchitecturenetwork.org/

just one example of thinking bigger.

Aug 17, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 
ppuzzello

One architect that that has single-handedly made an astounding difference in the lives of people all over the world, through architecture. Cameron Sinclair. Good one jasoncross.

Aug 17, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: