Archinect
anchor

Tip for the unemployed with Revit experience

jyount10

Might not be the tip you want to hear, but if you're unemployed and have Revit experience, try applying to engineering firms; where there is currently a shortage of people with Revit/BIM experience.

I recently had one of our engineering consultants ask me where we find people who know Revit.  They explained to me that while drafting and 3D modeling is a core part of architectural education curriculum, it is not so for engineers; as the first thing they do when they get their first job is learn how to draft and use AutoCAD.  When they need drafting help, they pull from the local technology/trade schools; who have not gotten with the times in terms of Revit and BIM.

Might not be the kind of job you're looking for if you're following Archinect, but it could get you a paycheck and some experience if nothing else.

Dec 7, 12 8:31 pm

Engineering firms are good places to start out, the IDP Guidelines will allow a considerable amount of your internship credits to be earned in this work setting. 

Lots of things engineers do you will need to know to pass the ARE so this is relevant.

Also I just had an interview with an architecture / engineering firm that is building their architecture division, this sector seems to be growing or at last holding steady. Architecture and engineering firms are growing and or merging, some market sectors such as mass transit stadiums, and or industrial architecture is being done by architecture and engineering firms such as AECOM, HNTB, among others. 

Cities and towns may higher the engineers to do the traffic studies for their new mass transit system and guess what a bus terminal and maintenance facility has to be designed too. You may not be designing flashy buildings but streetscapes, curb-cuts for ADA compliance.  People trained as architects may be seen as being an integral part of the team on a larger infrastructure project because the portion of the work they do is the most public.  Benches and curb cuts may be less than 10% but they have to be carefully designed, do this small portion wrong and your team may not be selected for the next project.

Dec 9, 12 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: