Archinect
anchor

john johansen's mechanic in peril

i can't even believe i'm initiating this, my life is in such turmoil between work and house at the moment, but this seems a good effort for archinectors to support: saving johansen.

johansen on the Mechanic: "It's not brutalistic, as some say. It's like a flower, opening its petals."

mapa? others? people in baltimore?

what might we bring to the table?

Aug 15, 07 7:59 am

I'm in Baltimore, and I missed hearing about this. I'll see if I can find out what happened at that meeting and let you guys know.

Aug 15, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I'm also in Baltimore and happened to catch the article on baltimoresun.com this morning. I've known the theatre to be in limbo for the past few years but was not aware what was potentially happening to it.

more images here

Although the building has some very beautiful sculptural moments, the way in which its entrance meets Charles Center Plaza is awkward and the way it meets (or turns its back on) the adjacent Charles Street is pretty much awful. I do believe, however, that the lower portion of the building could (and should) be modified to resolve these issues. The greatest challenge here could be finding a new use for the building.

I'm definitely willing to help here in any way I can and I'm pretty excited about the potential and possibilities.

Aug 15, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 

here 'tis:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mechanic+theater&sll=39.292428,-76.621404&sspn=0.011824,0.019956&ie=UTF8&view=map&ll=39.289082,-76.615745&spn=0.001478,0.002494&t=k&z=19&om=1

i see the issue at charles street. hm.

anyone got a photo from that side? the one that's closest from bryan4arch's link is the southeast corner where the drive goes down into the lower level, but there isn't much visible northeast of the flyloft.

Aug 15, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I might try to hop down there tomorrow evening and get a few photos of the "back".

In the aerial photo, I think it could be possible to pretty extensively alter the low-slung rectangular area that surrounds the auditorium and still be left with 95% of the original fabric intact. I wouldn't be shy about really opening that portion up and in the process making it less rectilinear.

Aug 15, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

i wonder what kind of response contacting mr johansen himself and proposing a charrette with his involvement/encouragement might garner?

Aug 15, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

why does every urban brutalist 70's building end up with a god damned Rite Aid in it???? The same thing happened in Cincinnati in the old Contemporary Arts Center building

Aug 15, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I can't imagine he'd be opposed. It would be worth getting in touch with him to find out. He sounds like a bit of a grumpy old man but his participation would lend some gravitas to the idea anyway.

Aug 15, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Doesn't every building eventually ends up with a Rite Aid in it?

Aug 15, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I think that there is a fairly 'important at the time' building in West Hollywood that now houses a Rite Aid

Aug 15, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

"The people whose views should be taken seriously are deans of architecture schools and that sort of thing, not the common person on the street."

he's not helping his own cause all that much. the letters by meier and polshek were equally off-putting. funny that such high profile architects can't play the pr game better. guess when it's not their project, they'll spout off.

nonetheless, i'm interested. adaptive reuse of a theater sounds very difficult. we're facing the same problem in detroit with ford auditorium, similarly modern and threatened. i'll offer what support i can as this develops.

Aug 15, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I can't help but wonder if that quote from Johansen wasn't presented out of its original context...reporters have a way of doing that sometimes. Even if the guy *is* a total ass though, there are larger issues at play.

Aug 15, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

of course you could always just put an urban outfitters in it. that seems like the easiest route to adaptive re-use of a theatre.

Aug 15, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

in berwyn illinoiz they are trying to teardown the spiked car sculpture to put up a walgreen's.

Aug 15, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

that artist didn't seem to mind, though, in the interview i heard. he said it wasn't meant to last anyway. he was 'touched' that people were fighting for it, though.

i'd fight for that one, too, if only to be fighting against another f@#$ing walgreens.

Aug 15, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

nice idea, puddles. uo seems perfect for a theater. where have i seen that?

Aug 15, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: