Archinect
anchor

MIT Architecture :TOEFL?? really?

0L0ID

I don't know whether this has been covered before but I'm in a stuppor:

I'm applying to MIT SMArchS and they're requiring a TOEFL score. Applications are due in less than a month. I come from Russia but I've been a US citizen for the past 5 years, have lived in the us for the past 12, graduated from an american highschool, and from a 5-year undergraduate architecture program also here in the US. Is there any way I can get in without having to take TOEFL? ...because frankly a month before stuff is due, I don't think I have that option.

Has anyone in a similar situation had any luck getting into MIT without a TOEFL score?

much obliged,

Oleg

Dec 3, 12 6:07 pm
poop876

Don't they need GRE or TOEFL? Did you get in touch with them? Usually TOEFL is for international students which I assume you are not since you've been here for a very long time.

Dec 3, 12 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
0L0ID

I tried today but realized a little late that they close at 5, and I’m from California, so it was already past 2 here.. lol

I DO have GRE scores that I can submit to them. You got me thinking, I guess since you can’t really pass GRE without English proficiency, wouldn’t It be a worthy substitute for TOEFL?

I’ll call them again tomorrow morning.
Thanks!

Anyone else?

Dec 3, 12 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Maybe they're demanding it because your reading comprehension skills are lacking?

In their admissions requirements, they CLEARLY state that GRE isn't required, but ANYONE who's first language ISN'T english must submit TOEFL or IELTS, regardless of citizenship or residency.

Personally, I think it's a bit strange that a master's program isn't requiring the GRE, but....

Dec 4, 12 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

whose reading comprehension skills are lacking?

*angry*

Dec 4, 12 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: