Archinect
anchor

Going to the ATL! What shall I See?

clerestory strip™

Hello folks, I know this has been posted before, but I tried to dig up the old thread but got no responses. (Is it something I said? lol)
Anyway, I will be going to Atlanta in a few weeks for about 2 days, and besides going to see the obvious (High Museum), I need some more cool architecture to check out. All the big Portman projects are a must see (yep, I'm a Portman fan), so I have a few things to experience already, but more is always appreciated.

Thanks.

Aug 13, 07 10:48 am
Apurimac

His best atrium is at the Atlanta Mariott, my favorite space of his though his the lobby at Westin Peachtree Plaza. The hyatt's worth checking out because it's the genesis of all his atria.

Aug 13, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

You should eat at fat matts bbq, its good stuff. Other than that just wander, the high museum is pretty nice but I'm not a fan of the renzo piano extension. There's a lot of new development that is very new urbanist and trendy, so if your into that type of thing, you should have a good time just driving around.

Aug 13, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

flat brim hats with big shiny stickers on them. they're hottt.

Aug 13, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Thanks folks...helpful info indeed. Flat-brimmed hats with shiny stickers...hmmm...

Obviously I'm a big architecture fan, but my traveling companion could care less-so if I can get him to hang in there long enough to see a few good projects I'll be pleased.

I know I will have to drag him kicking and screaming into the High Museum-he is not a Richard Meier fan, and he's only taking me because I want to go.

Yes, I think just cruising around will be a great idea-the last time I went down there my ex thought driving 5 hours just to sit in the hotel room and watch football was an ideal vacation-so this time, I'm actually going to go out and see things!

Aug 13, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Speaking of, where can i find the best ribs in the city? Fat matts?

Aug 13, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03
Aug 13, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Master Architect

Pimp Out Caddys

Oh yeah...and the people that drive them...

Aug 13, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
aking

I would check out Noguchi's playground in Piedmont park. I totally felt like a kid again when I visited.

Aug 13, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Master Arch, I just saw another similar car on my lunch break. It, too, had the wheel size denoted in chrome numerals just behind it. What opulence and class!

Aug 13, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i could swear that the "wheel size" you speak of denoted by a sticker behind the wheel well means the driver's iq

Aug 13, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Massa architect i do believe that is a chevy.

Aug 13, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

go see Meier and Piano square off at the High!! Beyond that most of the worthy things are smaller and far apart. I'm saying this although there has been like 3 threads on this same topic. The Indian Creek MARTA terminal is brilliant with its fair faced concrete and massive timber-lam beams

Aug 13, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
user09

MAGIC CITY

Aug 13, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: