Archinect
anchor

London Met Architecture School?

Znaika

Does anyone know if their Professional Diploma in Architecture (Part II) is equivalent to the USA's M.Arch (NAAB Accredited)?

Would I be able to start my IDP with that?

Also, how well is reciprocity in terms of licensure in the UK and US?

Thank you in advance.  

Dec 3, 12 12:14 am
Dima Srouji

Znaika,

I did Part I in the UK and am now applying to MARCH I in the US rather than Part II in the UK. Since Part I is equivalent to a four year degree in the US, I would think that Part II should be equivalent to an M.Arch. I recall my tutor in London saying something about Part II a higher degree than an M.Arch. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I would think it's at least equivalent. It's definitely NAAB accredited, though. I would email London Met to double check. It's an amazing school, enjoy it.

Sorry I couldn't answer all your questions.

Dec 6, 12 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

Thank you disro, 

I'm not actually going to attend London Met, but was rather thinking of their university extension in Moscow. 

Dec 7, 12 2:22 am  · 
 · 
TED

UK schools are not NAAB Accredited. See http://www.naab.org/architecture_programs/

It has nothing to do with the course or teaching - its protectionism on both the US V Brits.

Dec 7, 12 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Dima Srouji

TED that's true. You can still get credit, though. I did my Part I in the UK and my BA is recognized in the States.

Dec 7, 12 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Yes, agree - Universities will consider a Part I equivalent to a BA - however BA's in the states are not NAAB professional degrees - Some MArch's and BArch [5 year professional] are NAAB degrees.  [and there are many MArch's that are not NAAB - if it is not on that list it is not NAAB]

Most 3-3.5 year MArch NAAB Professional degrees will allow any BA/BS award and is not dependent to have a BA/BS in Architecture as a pre-requisite. In the UK, all Part II programmes require a previous BA/BA Architectural award [most add additional requirement that it is a part I - but this is only how the Uni interprets the RIBA/Arb criteria]. Some do allow entry with a BA Interior Architecture but the portfolio would need to be exceptionally high and the student would need to obtain Part I from Arb outside the university. 

It is a very onerous to get a Part II degree NCARB equivalent http://app.ncarb.org/certification/uscertification.html

Dec 7, 12 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
TED

@Znaika FYI - you are not licensed after taking a Part II course - after your course you need to have 2 year min experience with an office in the UK under the direction of ARB Architect then you need to take a Part III course / programme - [uo to  year]

The is no reciprocity between UK/US.

Dec 7, 12 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Znaika

@TED- Yeah I knew that, I was just thinking of what would be my options after completing a Part II M.Arch abroad. Would you happen to know? 

Dec 7, 12 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Just to bring this thread back up, because I'm looking into this now as well.  From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong), based on the Canberra Accord from 2010, it looks like accredited degrees at international universities in their respective countries (Australia, Canada, China, Korea, UK, Mexico) will carry over as 'substantially equivalent' to NAAB accredited degrees here in the US.  This allows programs in these countries to bypass going through EESA and going through the process/paying a fee to have your degree reviewed.  Now I know that doesn't mean 'equivalent,' but NCARB recognizes these degrees as acceptable towards getting US licensure (See here http://ncarb.org/Certification-and-Reciprocity/EESA.aspx).  So, assuming that your degree is in one of those countries, and you received it after January 1 2010, it will fulfill your education requirement for the licensure process.  

The only reason I bring this back up is because I'm looking to get my Masters abroad (I only have a BS in Architecture unfortunately), and am looking at UK programs as a possible option.  I don't think many people know about the Canberra Accord, and I only really found out about it recently.  But if this in fact the case, It would broaden my options as far as going abroad and still wanting to be accredited upon returning to the US.  

That's my two cents! 

Cheers!

Jul 30, 13 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Stewie_2011

From the link you give it states, "Accreditation and validation agencies from Australia, Canada, China, Korea, Mexico, the United States, and the Commonwealth Association of Architects"

So UK is not specifically mentioned from what I can see, many of its straight architecture schools seem to qualify under the Commonwealth Association of Architects CAA but I think I would still be dubious that you would get much acceptance of this in US. The US and UK seem to be reluctant to recognise each others qualifications which is a real shame as I think many people in Architecture in US and UK would like a reciprocal acceptance of qualification here. After all the US and UK architecture industries are both suffering the same so it would make little difference there. US is also a little difficult for UK citizens on the work visa front perhaps, don't know what its like for US citizens wanting to work in UK. Anyway, perhaps Email CAA and find out for sure and research into it as its the sort of thing where there's some silly rule/policy along the way to trip you up on. 

Aug 14, 13 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: