Travis Woodward

Aug 11, 07 10:40 am
Travis Woodward

NO comments?!

Isn't this an architecture forum?

Aug 13, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
oldenvirginia

I'd love to read this, but i'm on my phone and no link is showing. I'll get back to you later, though.

Aug 13, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 

i watched it a day or so ago, but didn't have any immediate reaction. not really much new information except that you get to see/hear it from the man himself. i was a little put off by the continuous 'american hedge fund' schtick as he didn't seem to make any distinction between 'american' and 'hedge fund'.

if he's able to purchase the tower, good for him. i remember the need for greater density being one of the primary issues. if he can buy it, replace capsules, and do well with it - whether achieving greater density or not - it will be a nice proof of his original ideas.

Aug 13, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 

to translate the bit at the end, that would be 200,000 dollars per capsule as sale price.

i still think he is full of rubbish, video only enhancing previous conclusion that he is a manipulative bastard...

my guess is that the american hedge fund and their japanese partners understand the cost of demooshing the building quite well, and would have learned about such things when they got their due diligence report before purchasing the property. which leads me to think they have already factored in the half million to demolish the property into the calculations...

if he can buy it i think he should do it, however if we make this just about archi-theory the thing about adaptability is that it should be possible to adapt a building over time without needing to replace the entire infrastructure. seriously those wee built-in tvs don't work in todays context and why should anyone try to support a place that must by design remain unchanged for 25 years? that is not adpatability it is interchangability, which does not equal sustainability or anything of the sort. it is entirely the opposite of being organic...more to point, sustainability requires some degree of efficiency and this is not it.

also i find his claim that such structures had not been built before mildly repugnant cus moshe safdie had done his own version of same thing 4 years before kurokawa did. and it is not only better and nicer, but also more popular today...kurokawa may have did his bit to bring about the plastic molded unit-bath so ubiquitous in japan, but he did not do much for architecture...at least not in hindsight.

i would be much happier and supportive if he were more honest with everyone an just say he likes the design and would like to keep it rather than rip off a series of ideas and arguments that come off as weak. he seems more weasel than avant-garde artist/architect when he acts like that...

no wonder he lost the election again (he ran for mayor of tokyo recently and then more recently for leg. assembly and was laughed out both times; apparently everyone thought he was affable but dangerously ignorant man).

Aug 13, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Travis Woodward

I agree with your sentiments about Kurokawa's character. I've never really seen him as a trailblazer but just towing the line for whatever is popular at the time.

Aug 14, 07 2:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: