Archinect
anchor

Illustrator Question - RGB & CMYK

Bench

I've always had good luck getting decent answers here, so I figured I'd throw out another one.

I'm currently working on a revised portfolio. While I'm currently in the process of setting up the basics at the start, I was curious if it's more beneficial for me to be formatting my new Illustrator files to RGB or CMYK format from the get-go? I had always been under the impression that CMYK was primarily for printing and RGB was primarily for web/computer use. What if I'm considering using the port for both? (Having a printed copy as well as a digital copy to send out to employers/etc.). I gave it a try as RGB and the program immediately gave me a yellow "!" caution - I'm curious why this is.

Thanks in advance,

-Ben

Nov 27, 12 9:54 pm
curtkram

i would do rgb.  i would think more people are going to see your work on a screen, and they will see it on a screen first.  also, the color difference isn't all that much. 

Nov 27, 12 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Ok, good to hear. I figured that was the case.

On a sidenote, I'm getting a lot of grief in the new CS6 Illustrator with blending overlays. I took a bunch of model pictures with a black sheet in the background. The point in the portfolio layout is to have a pure black background and then overlay the pictures using the Screen overlay. For some reason, it is not working at all as it used to in CS5 - the overlay should give a natural fade out into the back, but instead its turning the photos into a weird greyscale of grainy texture. Anyone have any advice on how to get around this? Very frustrating...

Nov 28, 12 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: