Archinect
anchor

Revit or ArchiCad

crowbert

My, there's a lot of software talk going on in here lately. We as an office need to get new software - and I, like the idiot that I am, "volunteered" to look into it. I used ArchiCad for many years. I know Revit will become the standard for BIM software. The choice is realistically between those two programs.

Has anyone out there used both programs? I'd be most interested in hearing from people with experience in both platforms. Also, if anyone else out there has been on a software steering committee, that would also be useful knowledge to have too. I also look forward to reading how 3DH is the greatest software ever and even slices bread, as well as many other tangents and asides.

Thanks again guys!

Aug 1, 07 1:48 pm
difficultfix

I never used ArchiCAD.....So I have nothing about it (nor good or bad)

I do use Revit Architecture.and at the MEP firm where I am at They are starting to use REVIT MEP...

So If you do a lot of NON-residential..do more comercial type projects...I would suggest Revit...Since in the near future alot of the consultants will be using programs such as Revit MEP and Revit Structures. The projects will be all completed on a revit format...

And Revit Architecture seems to be more the Norm...

Aug 1, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
open

FIX - you are in or near San Diego, correct? I'd love to find an MEP who is interested in Revit/ArchiCAD or anything non AutoCAD 2000. Could you give me a hint? Thanks.

Aug 2, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Our firm used ArchiCAD for 6 months and were very frustrated with it. We dropped it for Revit in November and are really liking Revit.
Both are equally capable, in my opinion, Revit is easier to learn and manage within the office. That being said, if you already have people in the office that know how to use one or the other, best to use something that at least one person in the office can answer questions about. I have been leading the charge for our Revit implementation, feel free to email me if you have more specific questions about how they compare head to head.
j

Aug 2, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I used archicad, desktop and messed around w Revit so Im not proficient at it yet -

Archicad very easy to use however something really awkward about it's interface - just not great program plus when I used it you had 2 sep programs for plotting and drafting - I hated using it actually but that could have been the network at where i was working. Terribly slow. You got hypnotixed by the flashing screen regenerationg all the time.

Revit seems ultra complex and powerful. Ive seen some others work with it who say a month to become technically proficient if your a competent computer user. I'd go Revit - plus the render engine is accurender right?

Aug 2, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

They have now combined the printing and the model/drawing in one program. Revit seems to me to be a little too complex sometimes. Evil, are you using it now in your office or are you just playing around with it?

Additionally, does Revit have the capability for multiple people to work off of the same model at the same time?

Aug 2, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

crowbert:

Yes, Revit uses a system similar to the way Arris worked that allows multiple users to check out pieces of a central building model. In early versions this was logistically problematic, but about 2 years ago that got revamped and it's practically seamless now.

Aug 2, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Open...Yeah check out

www.lincolnescott.com

Aug 2, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

Rhinoceros

Aug 2, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

Intellicad

Aug 2, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Yes, Rhinoceros......Thats my favorite.......

Aug 2, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I also like Solidworks...For not Architecture related products....

Aug 2, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: