Archinect
anchor

Coping with death in architecture - do you feel responsible?

boxy

This is something that has been on my mind ever since I wanted to be an architect and I wonder if any of you think about it. It's probably the only reason I'm scared to enter the profession.

Let's say you design a home and a family moves in. A fire breaks out accidentally and people die. Do you in any way feel responsible? Do doubts run through your head because you went with a cheaper type of wood that burns faster? or do you feel guilty for focusing more on the look and design of the house as opposed to making it easier to exit in emergency?

How do you feel when a workman dies on the job?

I'm not a person who deals with death well. I don't know if I can cope with knowing that I directly or indirectly caused the death of another person. I can't even imagine what I would have felt like if I designed the World Trade Towers. Like many of you, I take full responsibility for my actions. Has something like this happened to you? How do I get over this fear?

Jul 29, 07 9:42 pm
binary

thats why there are codes

Jul 29, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

If you are going to be in that mind set you might as well just lock yourself in the house. We are human and mistakes will happen no matter what. You could kill somebody with your vehicle on your way to work. Does that stop you from driving?

Don't let worry stop you from living your life.

Jul 29, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Never thought about it. Probably wont. I dont think it warrants too much thought outside of following standard practices and procedures, and not being wilfully negligent.

Never had a workman die on a job. It would be terrible of course - and unless he tripped over a fancy or unneccesary detail designed by you directly, or you are the site foreman, it doesnt bear worrying about.

Just do a good job, and channel some of that anxiety into a more positive outlet.

How many people do you know that deal with death well?

Jul 29, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Construction has a dreadful record for safety. People die in the most hideous ways. The UK Construction and Design Management (CDM) laws extend the designers' (including other consultants) responsibilities to buildability and maintenance: ensuring the work necessitated or implied by the design is safe. So, no sharp corners.

Jul 29, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: