Archinect
anchor

Rhino Offset Surface

rob(E)

Ok I searched the threads but didn't see anything like this-Iv'e got a nurbs surface/polysurface and when I= offsetsrf-(s)olid-3"-it does it great, but it segments the new solid into like 8 mini solids. Like every major contour line is a break point for the next chunk of the surface. So how do i make it not do that? merge surface doesnt work, simply booleaning the solids together doesnt work either....help?

Jul 28, 07 11:37 pm
grid

select the new surface and type "join"

Jul 29, 07 3:01 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)

grid-you can't join polysurfaces...

Jul 29, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)
http://robbieeleazer.blogspot.com/

here's a link to my personal travel blog-i posted some thumbnails showing the problem. Click on the images and they'll be full screen size. Hope this helps make the question more specific.

Jul 29, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

I'm sorry, but Rhino isn't my strong program...but can you group them?

Jul 29, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

The better place to ask these question might be in the McNeel Rhino newsgroup, but....

If your object is a poly-surface/ solid you are always going to get those divisions. Try to rebuild it as a single surface and then offset. Rhno is a surface modeler first and foremost so try to always work with surfaces when you can.

V4 also has many significant upgrades in these areas too, maybe try it in the evaluation version too.

Jul 29, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

in these cases, i've found that once you have your geometries built but they're not continuous, you can try to extract curve-based elements and regenerate your surface through lofting or sweeps etc. sometimes it greatly cleans things up as well.

oh, other thing. are each of the horizontal segments capped? cause if so, you need to delete the cap end pieces and then the surfaces will join to each other. (i seem to be able to make out an isocurve for a top-cap piece on the final image you posted on the segment that's selected)

Jul 29, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

ants-
you were right on, each of the subdivided segments are capped. after i explode the segments, delete the caps, boolean it back together then boolean the next segment it goes together fine-kind of tedious but way more accurate the recreating the initial line work(tried that and kind ruined it). I still dont know why the hell it broke it apart to begin with-
Fog-
Ill give Mcneel a heads up on the problem. They are usualy really helpful but the guy couldnt figure it out when i talked to them last week...

Thanks archinectors, i might finish this shit after all.

Jul 29, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

Wait-spoke too soon, was able to join about 4 of the segments together but its failing again-i guess mcneel is better suited for this question. thank again though.

Jul 29, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
_ks

1. extract u and v crvs
2. join profiles where you have srf divisions [check for kink's and creases]
2. curve network

done. one surface.
might need to rebuild the surface for ease of use, they generally come out with pretty high iso counts...depend on what your going to do down the road.

the reason for the error is that your first surface isn't defined very well...judgin by your pictures it looks like you've just selected CP's and moved them around. other software is way better at this.

Jul 29, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

why don't you just offset surface but not as a solid. then make sure each of the opposing faces join properly. if that works, then just loft between the edges to cap it off.

that way you can at least identify if it's the offset srf operation that screws things up (that's my suspicion).

offset srf doesn't seem to operate very well once you get to complicated surfaces... i think it especially doesn't like place where things intersect.

if you have to, use the initial line work to get the primary surface, offset each of those lines and generate the two surfaces independently with their respective sets of curve geometry.

Jul 29, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

Thanks guys-i messed with it all day and ended up doing what yall suggested...figured it out though.I put myself on an archinect embargo till i figured it out...haha and yall beat me to it. Thanks for the help.

_ks-suggestions on other software that is "way" better? I like rhino, but im up for a change

Jul 29, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

_ks -the surface was a straight up loft...of curves i defined...so not sure why that would create anything "not well defined". I defined all the moments i wanted to control. Im more working on a method then a form right now, im just practicing with something that has a few double curves...the magic won't start till later.

Jul 29, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
_ks

I would suggest maya or catia on this on this particular issue. catia might not give you want you want at first, but it's a pretty unlimited software... by 'well defined' i don't mean not accurate in regards to form [i wasn't thinking about it cause it's a tech question] i meant well defined in regards to how your create the surface [method]...rhino is limited with 8[?]ways to define a surface, each with it's benefits and fallbacks compared to catia which can do them all for example [and can do the ones rhino does more controlled]. if you want to stay more flexible with it use maya, she's a loose software.

more or less all software is the same; it's the user that matters, i'm sure you'll figure everything out..if you need anything really specific lemme know

Aug 2, 07 2:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: