Archinect
anchor

Are Phd's in other countries of a similar standard compared to USA?

accesskb

I was wondering if Phd's in other European countries, more specifically Austria, are of the same standards in USA or England?  Are they well recognized in USA for work or other opportunities?  and by Phd's I mean for all subjects in general, not just in architecture.  It seems like some countries have a wierd education system.  I realize in some countries it takes the same amount of time to get their bachelors and masters degree as one would require to complete only their bachelor's in US.  In America, one could spend a few years completing their Phd, but it seems like one could get their phd in a year or two in countries like Austria. :/ 

i'm just curious because I know someone who started and finished his Phd in one year in Vienna, Austria.. had previously finished his undergrad and masters in 4 years.  While another guy is doing is Phd at a school in Vienna that doesn't officially have a phd program.  He's just collaborating with a prof in the school and will get awarded with a phd in the end. 

Nov 20, 12 3:28 pm
gwharton

Americans are generally fairly ignorant of international educational institutions and practices, yet are also easily impressed by high-falutin'-sounding European stuff. The exception to that is in firms or institutions that have a lot of international experience and contacts. They know the real score. So a PhD from the Royal Vienna Institute of Janitorial and Topiary Arts would probably get you a job in most local firms who don't know better, it won't help with a prestige firm or any university.

Which is a roundabout way of saying "it depends."

Nov 20, 12 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: