Archinect
anchor

build it bigger

you know that show...with the guy that's an architect...and it used to be called something else...uhmmm

Jul 17, 07 10:12 pm
lletdownl

you really made a thread for this? wowza

but i didnt know he went to arch school... whats he doing with tanks anyway?

Jul 17, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

It's total bulshit. The first episode of Extreme Engineering (the show Danny hosted last year) was about an aircraft carrier. I thought most of the country was sick of war? Come on.

I seem to recall Danny Forrester went to GSD. I'm too lazy to confirm, though.

Jul 17, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
gypsy

its true, he did attend the GSD.

Jul 18, 07 1:43 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

if you can't make it good, make it big.
if that doesn't work, paint it red.

Jul 18, 07 1:51 am  · 
 · 
binary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WufLXFlI_dM
Jul 18, 07 2:26 am  · 
 · 
grid
Jul 18, 07 2:31 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

saw it tonight... you hear a quick blurb in the middle that credits sponsoring by the US Army... go fig. tonight's was on the M1A1 Abrams tank...

Jul 18, 07 2:42 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

which, by the way cost $5,000,000 a piece, and we supposedly have 8,000 of them. good thing... because 7,500 just wouldn't cut it

Jul 18, 07 9:22 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

that dog isnt even wearing a leash.

Jul 18, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i hope that dog doesn't poop

Jul 18, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

apparently the US military funds alot of those shows on Discovery. And lletdownl if this wasn't a worthy thread - why did you contribute? Nonetheless this was simply because there really has been alot of architecture/architects hitting main stream and I think its a necessary evil that we are aware and embrace this phenomena - its been a while since we were really thought to be cool and relevant in the public's eye

Jul 18, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"The first episode of Extreme Engineering (the show Danny hosted last year) was about an aircraft carrier"

its interesting all the archinect venerable members are mum about this, but i seem to remember most of them going ga-ga about the show and about Danny (mainly the women, actually).

Jul 18, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen
Here's one...

And the other (more cynical)...

And there are more. Incidentally, Danny Forrester's thesis project is posted on the GSD website...Studio Works. Launch that bugger and you'll find his name at the end.

It is very icky to me. There are so many things that are "built bigger" or are "extremely engineered" for peaceful purposes.

Did you know that most of the American public imagines that the US spends 24% of the federal budget on foreign aid, while the number is actually less than 1%?

The militarization of our society is subtle but pervasive...it has worked its way into the popular culture, fashion, the lexicon, and our public life. The history channel is particularly perverse ("War Stories with Oliver North"? come on!!) We get to sit idly by as the profession of killing for national honor is glorified in advertisements and advertisements disguised as education programming.

Jul 18, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

me thinks Liebchen is anti-war (like me)

peace to all and g'night!

Jul 18, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

I'd be totally for the war...if I had any money in the stock market ;^)

Jul 19, 07 12:09 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Maybe the army should hold a bake....

ah forget it.

Jul 19, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, so it was a cool show last year, but

1) the name change is lame
2) I don't want to see a show about a tank.

Call me war-weary, I don't know, but I thought the aircraft carrier show was cool because it was huge, and it was an environment....like, 'hey look what we can put in the ocean'. Whereas a show about a tank is very blatantly, 'look how we can blow things up more efficiently'. Yuck.

Ps. I was one of those "women" that you speak of....Danny seems like a good guy but if the show's going down hill, he should go host Top Design or something, ha. Like that's any better.

Jul 19, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 

he needs a show specific to "ah shucks" behaviour and love for architecture - think perhaps a amp'd up version of flip this house or something like that

Jul 21, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

They play up his "fear of heights" in every episode...

Jul 21, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah, I'm watching a mini-marathon of this show right now, and they seem intent on making him look like wimp/nerd in every episode. In the Abrams tank episode, he barfed (or something) and now he's looking at roller coasters and I'm sure a combination of the fear of heights/barfing is going to come in.

The coaster show is interesting so far though. And tomorrow night, we go to Shanghai!

Jul 23, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
build it bigger
Jul 24, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i never hear of this show...instaed i watch brett michaels of super band poison look for a woman... that show is great, maybe "build bigger" show should have an episode on brest implants

Jul 24, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

WK, in the roller coaster episode did you catch the exchange between Danny and the carpenters building the wood coaster?

Carpenter: I can tell you're an architect...
Danny: How's that?
Carp: You wear tight jeans!
Camera pans down to compare Danny's Diesel jeans to the Carhartts, over-alls, dickies, and baggy dungarees of the other workmen. Everyone has a good laugh at the host's expense.

Something like that.

Guess what? Next week we get to go onboard a US Navy Destoryer! YES!
I hope we get to find out how well it can kill people.

Jul 25, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Liebchen, I'm sorry, I just now saw your response to my post. I totally missed that exchange! I like Danny's pants. :o/

Anyway, just pointing out Paul's news posting about tomorrow night's show. Apparently we have been "invited" to watch by Eisenman Architects!

Oct 3, 07 12:24 am  · 
 · 

City of Culture in Santiago de Compostela - brilliant!!

Oct 3, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Dear Danny,

You know I love you......however, by the end of tonight's show, you had used the phrase "cracking the architect's code" so many times that I wanted to gauge my eyes out.

Sincerely,
WonderK

~~~~~

As for the City of Culture.....I have many opinions about it and I'm not sure that the word "brilliant" fits into any of them. I like the idea of keeping the city grid and using the local stone on the roof. However, as with many of Eisenman's designs, I have ask.....why? Why so much waste? For what? Did you SEE all of that sheet rock? Why waste so much energy and material on sheetrocking a ceiling 70' in the air? And why did the roof have to be concrete that they didn't even know how to mix yet? Why not use precast panels instead? Solar panels (they are in Spain for god's sakes)? Or, I don't know, maybe something that was meant to be on the roof?

I have just passed the point where I feel that traditional building methods, such as this, are acceptable on such a large scale, and especially where the end result is so static and difficult to maintain. I think we're past the era where looking pretty is good enough......for the amount of energy expended to build that building, it should be able to power the town or something.

That is enough architectural manifesto from me today. Carry on.

Oct 4, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

dubk, you forget a few key facts here. first, eisenman is like george clooney - or insert any other hollywood star - an while georgie may care about global warming, he's certainly not going to start flying coach on southwest airlines. george may care about the environment, but he's not about to live in a pre-fab home with 1.7 gigawatt solar panels lining the front yard. point is, buildings ans architects like this, the ones that focus on the esoteric issues in architecture, are less inclined to get involved in the issues you cite. those issues are not even on his radar, and he probably would tell you there are other, more qualified architects designing for and caring about the issues you are interested in exploring. it's just not part his lexicon.

yes, cracking the code, made me want to crack his head. it even annoyed my wife.

Oct 4, 07 4:56 am  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

Is it just me, or does it seem like Danny give a lot more credit of the design to the engineers and not the architects...or maybe I am wrong.

Oct 29, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: